Upper Rogue River fish report. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Upper Rogue River fish report.

fredaevans
06-19-2003, 04:27 PM
As of midnight last night inflow to the Warm Springs dam (30 miles above Medford) was 1,493 cfs .... out flow! at 3,010!!! (Float the Queen Mary in that much water:eyecrazy: ) River temp was 50.9 degrees (premo)

Fish count as of June 1:

Spring Kings - 23,647
Summer steelhead - 116

Actually into the hatchery as of 6-16-03
Kings - 7,536
Steelhead - 23

Soooo, given the spread above, and ignoring the river is basicly unfishable with fly gear, still a lot of the buggers floating around out there. Suspect the high flows are holding them back.
fae

fish-head
06-22-2003, 11:22 AM
Fred , I am confused on your report ? Have I missed something since I have been working out of town ? Fish-head:hehe:

fredaevans
06-22-2003, 02:42 PM
The flow info/fish count was as of a couple of days ago off the river/fish 800#. Info to the dam is quite down at this point, but the Corp of Eng. is dumping water like mad. Yuck.

Higher in the river the gear guys are using 3 oz. of lead to fish for the kings. Below Grants Pass, where the river widens out in several places (Schroader sp? Park) water is very fishable with a two hander.
fae

Bingo! Andy think I know where you're getting lost. We now have two fish reports: first, the big one, is the counter numbers which are always behind the times. The Hatchery Guys are now providing (usually) a current report of what's actually in their pen-stocks.

fae

fish-head
06-22-2003, 05:49 PM
I didn't know the that the Upper Rogue outflow came out of Warm Springs Dam . Fish-head:chuckle:

fredaevans
06-22-2003, 11:01 PM
The corp of eng. controls the flow at this point. And I can remember a few times that I'd suspect the hatchery guys would want to kill the sob's for flipping the switch without letting them know before hand.

So goes our "government?"
:mad: