Weekly RI Fish Report - Jun 19 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Weekly RI Fish Report - Jun 19

RayStachelek
06-19-2003, 02:36 PM
“Working man's week!” That best describes conditions on the water the last few days. There are some legal size bass and double digit size bluefish around, but you have to use all your experience. The weather has still been cool for this time of year, but stripers are starting to take up summer residence. Feeding modes move closer to morning times and nighttime activity becomes more productive. Stripers continue to move toward the mid- bay island structures, yet there is still some good fishing around the Providence shoreline. Some keepers have been taken between the boat ramp at Bold Point to the Washington Bridge. Look for schools of adult menhaden. Live lining or fresh chucks work best.

Morning tides are producing a few bass around the ferry dock at Prudence Island. Try jointed swimming Bombers with erratic stop and go retrieves. Walking the dog type plugs like the Supper Spooks work toward shallower shorelines. Visual hits excite even the seasoned anglers. Bluefish later in the morning fill the void in many of the same areas. Bluefish are keying in on small schools of either two-inch menhaden or silversides just under the surface. Watching your fish finder has been the only way to locate these schools. Bird activity has been next to none.
Jigging off Sandy Point with plastic jigs produce blues at the beginning of the drop-offs. Don’t overlook the fact there are plenty of squid around dark deeper waters near the lower half of the bay.

striblue
06-19-2003, 10:12 PM
Great report Ray... I will have the whole summer off...so maybe I should take a trip down to see you.

Slinger
06-19-2003, 11:56 PM
I think I just got called a chunker!!!
Slinger

artb
06-20-2003, 06:28 AM
I had promised I won't post, but can't resist when only Narragansett Bay is posted.
On every Thursday, Charlie the owner of Weekapaug Bait and tackle posts a fishing report.
This is for a good reliable fishing report.
www.weekapaugbaitandtackle.com
If you don't like this remove it. There is more to RI than Narragansett Bay. :eyecrazy: