Boating Monomoy [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Boating Monomoy

MarkZ
06-19-2003, 01:11 PM
Hi guys. I rented a house on the Oyster River in Chatham for 7/5-7/12. Planning on fishing Monomoy area w/ my 19' Bay Boat (Triumph) and was wondering how affective my bow mount trolling motor will be in lieu of a poling platform. I fished SB and Monomoy on foot 2 days last year, but never by boat. Any tips or warnings would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

Penguin
06-19-2003, 07:40 PM
The trolling motor will hold you on a spot as the parade passes by but it won't keep up with it...
Sometimes just dropping anchor to hold in a spot and wait in ambush is the ticket...
It all depends if the phish are moving or holding...
Just being there will lend a clue and help break the code...
Moving water and likely locations can yield a good return for patience and a good presentation.
And a well chosen lunch can make for a swell day onthewater! :smokin:

Slinger
06-20-2003, 01:03 AM
Still looking for a place to launch in Stage Harbor. My little tin is on the small side to go thru the cut at Chatham. Does anyone know of a ramp even if there s a fee. All replies will be appreciated
Slinger

juro
06-20-2003, 07:48 AM
Left you a PM

Jim Miller
06-20-2003, 07:57 AM
Slinger
left you a pm

Greg Pavlov
06-21-2003, 01:45 AM
Hey Mark, how do you like the Triumph ? I looked at one
early in the week and am half-considering it.

MarkZ
06-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Hi Greg. This will be my 3rd season with the 19' Bay (1st boat). I love it. Standouts are the price, soft dry ride, light weight, great lay out, abundant features and the phenomenal durability. Downside would be frequent stripping and backing out of screws in the plastic hull and dull finish. These small issues are far outweighed by the minimal maintenance this hull requires (perfect for a lazy guy such as myself). The unbreakable hull is great for me as a 1st timer, with a propensity for dock bumping etc. (in the beginning anyway). If you buy one make sure it is and was set up properly on the bunk-only trailer or it might warp or get a hooked transom. I hung a 115 4-stroke Suzuki on it and couldn't be happier w/ this setup. Good luck!