I hate work [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: I hate work

Dana
06-19-2003, 12:13 AM
I hate work. I really hate work. I really really hate work. I really really really hate work. I really really really really hate work.

Two months off in the summer (even without pay) makes it all worthwhile. Two months off in the summer (even without pay) makes it all worthwhile. Two months off in the summer (even without pay) makes it all worthwhile. Two months off in the summer (even without pay) makes it all worthwhile.

There. I feel better now. But I think I need to go fishing.

fredaevans
06-19-2003, 12:17 AM
the better part of 24/7.

From me symp. would be a 'best wish.'

Try mortgage banking for 40 years.
:hehe:

Dana
06-19-2003, 12:21 AM
welllll, at least I don't really really really really really hate work--then I'd have a problem!

flytyer
06-19-2003, 12:44 AM
Dana,

I like my job; however, I really would like to be able to get more time off and not have to work as many 10 to 12 hour days that I have to.

Fred,

Nobody ever told me that after I got a master's degrees and got into upper level management that I would have less time to do the things I enjoy and that I would also have to work more hours to boot! I love being in charge though and helping people (my employees, our welfare-to-Work clients, and the preschoolers in our Head Start program) add value and possibilities to their lives. And summer is one of my busiest times or year because that is when various policy changes need to be developed and made, trainings must be attended, work plans need updating, contracts negotiated, etc. Graduate schools should tell you that when you go into upper management that you will be far busier and work more hours than before. (I guess that is why I get paid the "big bucks" my employees think I get.)

And during all this, I want to be out on the river from morning till night, and run off camping and fishing with the family for weeks at a time. Ah, the joys of having a job you like when your recreation of choice is calling, calling, call........

Dana
06-19-2003, 12:50 AM
I like my job too, flytyer...it's the work part I have trouble with! June and September are always the worst months...the rest of the year has steelhead in it!:D

Just me
06-19-2003, 01:20 AM
Work? Work? Work? What is work. I've been retired for over 4 years now and I don't even know what that word means anymore. The only word I use now is Fishing,Fishing,and more Fishing. The only trouble with being retired is that I have to fish by myself as all my friends still have to do that other word,WORK.

Retirement has it's Perks and then there are the other things.

Steelheader69
06-19-2003, 03:02 AM
I got injured on the job. My L&I company made my condition worse, and I had to take them to court to make them pay for my time to get healed. Well, I lost some PRIME fishing seasons since last August thanks to them. Looks like I'm gonna miss the summerrun season as well. But, finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, and may be healed up by this Fall for salmon season. Let's pray. Had a great season in October, but was in so much pain that I actually put my rod away for a couple hours to rest up and let the percocet kick in. :( Hate fishing doped up, plus miss alot of hits that way.

But, I just want to be able to row my boat. Man, I'm having serious withdrawals in that dept.

NrthFrk16
06-19-2003, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Steelheader69
Hate fishing doped up, plus miss alot of hits that way.

Hey now...I never fish doped up...Hell I am never doped up but I must say, getting nicely inebriated makes it possible to enjoy a fishery such as...say...Rocky Ford! :hehe:

OC
06-19-2003, 09:24 AM
Fred, Fred.

Is there anyway we at flytalk can help you with your problem?

" life is not a practice run it's the real thing ". As far as I know we all just get one of them so to use it up on so much work is counter productive to the free spirit a man is born with.

Only advise a poor soul like me can give to such a high roller as you.
1] throw the damn cell phone in the river, now, tell work you have an errand to run. Put the phone in a sack with a cement block and over the bridge it goes.

2] go fish for the rest of the day and while on the river think about how you are going to tell Joan about how you no longer are employed and that she better get her passport in order because you are taking her on a wonderful 2 year world tour.

Truely good luck in finding a cure for your affliction.
We love you here at flytalk and want to help.

Jere Eshelman
06-19-2003, 10:42 AM
Today is one of the only days that I can say that I hate work. My office is short staffed, my schedule is minimum, I'm not producing, and I'm leaving in the morning for a week on the Lower Dean. I just yesterday received a new toy to play with in the form of 16'7"and it's been raining so I didn't get a chance to test cast it .
Tomorrow is a travel day that will drag on forever, but by Saturday afternoon I'll be standing in moving water at peace with the world.
I have to plan my fishing more than eight months in advance so I've already been looking forward to this trip for a long time. But,
today will drag on forever.
Today I hate work.

sinktip
06-19-2003, 10:43 AM
Dana,

I do really understand. Junes are the worst for me as well followed by July but September is my down time. Of course I am a 260 so I don't get the two months off. I am lucky though in that as long as I don't mind missing sleep, it is really overrated anyways, I can still get some summer water time in. Oh and then there are those terrible summer colds that just knock you out for a day. Must be lowered resistance from lack of sleep. Darn, I think I feel one coming on for tomorrow :devil:

st

Jeff
06-19-2003, 12:43 PM
I hate work too. I think it is unanomious that Work sucks. But that is why it isn't called play.

Tip I hate those summer flus that come on but as you know I have to plan those too. March-July is my busy time usually but here at a large software company in Redmond I don't know of a lot of slow times. :)

Wonder how much money it would take to get an airstream and be a fishing bumb for the rest of my life? Sounds good a lot of the time.

JJ

Steelheader69
06-19-2003, 12:59 PM
Getting a bit inebriated. LOL. Man, there's a difference between a couple beers and a hard core narcotic. :hehe: Difference is, after you're done with the beer, you'll say "Did I just miss a fish?", after the pills I take you say "Did I just go fishing?" :hehe:

MAN, trust me on this one. I've made plans to be a fishing bum. Figured once I got my kids out of the house (big hurdle to cover) I could sell off my house, and buy a nice travel trailer and a big suburban. Sell flies to guys on the stream for money (and other tackle) :D But, that dream is a good 12 years away.

foster reed
06-19-2003, 06:01 PM
What is the difference between working for 20 years and being married for 20 years ?

fishheadfred
06-19-2003, 09:37 PM
you fellas tickle me. try digging coal for 16 hrs a day for 6 days a week....one week vacation, xmas, and your b-day, and that's it.....it ain't hell, but you can hear the screams from in there!!!! damn glad i survived it. damned glad i finished college!!!

striblue
06-19-2003, 11:09 PM
Well... I have 7 days left till I take early retirement... actually a "mutual" decision.. close down the position but offer another one that I would not take... then negotiate a year severance at full pay... elect to take it over 2 years which adds two years to my retirement... I am now 53... so my official retirement will be at 55. Then I get a call from a Boston law firm with it's main office in Wash D.C. Very few broker dealer lawyers in Boston so they want to talk about an "of counsel" position. That would be a getting business thing. I said I still need the whole summer off so we are just talking right now.. Since I have Kids to put though College I am considering it even with a pension that is really good.. 1/2 my salary for life..... so I look...but I keep forgetting that the obituary pages are full of 50 year olds.... Life is short... do I really want or need this... maybe have Juro work with me on my web site... sell my flies... Do series of them for sale... "The Classic collection". "The Tim Borki series"... I bet I could make an extra $20,000 per year at that, Supplement the pension,have fun, wait for the Featherbrain to get published next week in "Flyfishing in Saltwaters" , wait for the Flounder and crab to appear in "FlyTyer" this fall..... and then get to work!...doing that.... Choices..... Yes... the Obits are full of 50 year olds... What IS my problem... oh, ya... I forgot..I think I will live forever...like everyone else thinks.... wait... no way.... I won't live forever.....decisions, decisions.

flytyer
06-19-2003, 11:50 PM
Dana,

Many times in my 50 years I have thought (and still do) that the ideal job would be something you like doing for only 2 days per week that pays as much as you need to do the things you desire to do and buy the things you desire with cash. This would allow me to go fishing and camping a lot, and also allow me to spend time with family and friends without work getting in the way of enjoying companionship and partaking of God's creation.

cupo
06-20-2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by foster reed
What is the difference between working for 20 years and being married for 20 years ?

After 20 years, your job will still suck.

BobK
06-20-2003, 08:53 AM
Life IS NOT short. Here I am, approaching 69, went fishin' yesterday, and having fun. (I really think I'm no longer 18 - maybe 19 now.) Stop reading obits - that is only a way to make a self-fulfilling prophesy out of it. Quit worrying - but if you have kids to put through school, keep SOME work to keep you going, otherwise you can expect surprises, like "Graduate School", and I even got the kids each a new but modest car when they went off to school (for MY peace of mind, not theirs!).

Don't count on $XX K from a business unless you have achieved it, and in a sustainable way! And remember - better than half of the profits go to the government (state, fed, etc.) for taxes!

I'm not trying to talk down early retirement (I did it at age 55!), but I "kept in there" by consulting for several years. Not enough to cut in to my outdoor quality time, and I picked my clients.

It CAN be done - just make sure you have medical, prescription, vision (glasses), and dental covered - I do, but a lot of guys my age get part time jobs just to cover these.

BobK

striblue
06-20-2003, 09:28 AM
An "of Cousel" position is a consulting position and I have all benefits covered for life including my spouse... I am lucky and I know it. My pension and 401K will give me low 6 figures per year for life. I can count on that by law and contract. I don't read obits but have friends who are gone in their 50's... Sorry ,but life is short anyway you look at it. Time flys by any definition. The actuarial tables are accurate as a statistic..if you beat those...great. If you retired at 55 and are now 69 I can see why you feel life is not short. I am following you... but I am done with 27 years and stress for the last 3. What's the old saying... no one ever said on their death bed that they should have spent more time at work ( unless their work was fun, which is what I am going to make it going forward). There are facts you can not ignore and that is not a pessimistic view, it's just real. Take every day as an extra.. don't dwell on it but don't wast time. By the way. fishing is not all I have planned.. Driving my 8th grade daughter to school everyday ,setting up my olderst for Collge next year, Golf, reading history, Finishing my Eqyptian Hierogliphic reading and translation course, writing now, Travel, not wearing a suit anymore

OC
06-20-2003, 09:29 AM
Bob,
Ya right, don't count your chickens before they hatch.

It's kind of funny for me to complain about the work thing and fishing. I am very lucky like some of you that I work for a company that has great health insurance. A company whos owners are easy going and understand my fishing needs. I'm on rivers throughout the NW every day that I'm on the road dealing with water quality issues. My company knows I fish before work, after work and even sometimes on company time and they encourage it. Everytime I have a job in Alaska they want me to stay over the weekend and take a guide trip for which they will pay for. All this being said the job still gets in the way. Like most of us if we won the Lotto and didn't work we would be even more busy than when we work at making a living. I love what I do to help keep rivers & bays clean. I love the owners of the company I work for I am loyal beyond reason and yet I hate the very idea that most mornings I am putting my socks and shoes on, the key in the ignitian and driving to a job. Durring the work week I usually get up at 0500. Durring my days off I get up at 0400 why? because it's my time and not someone elses and I can do whatever I want.

striblue
06-20-2003, 09:43 AM
Well, everyone has different situations... if you love your work then there is no issue... but some companies are down sizing all the time and cutting here and there.. Mine has for the last 5 and the stress of dealling with this grows on you. My company would have not understood fishing on company time ,that;s for sure.

OC
06-20-2003, 12:20 PM
Striblue,

From all the posts read over the years here on Flytalk I would say that you most of all will personally succeed at being who you want be when you officially become a striper bum.

For many of us that 6 figure retirement figure would only make being a fly fishing bum more complicated in achieving the true freedom of being a fishing bum. But with your love for your family, fishing friends and your love for the land and waters around you you will find your freedom easier than most. You will be able to look back on those last years of not liking your job with all the stress and laugh because you know how ever long life might be you will be doing exactly what you need to do. Enjoy taking your daughter to school and enjoy learning all there is about the tides and how they influence just about everything that goes on on Cape Cod.

fredaevans
06-20-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by OC
Fred, Fred.

Is there anyway we at flytalk can help you with your problem?

" life is not a practice run it's the real thing ". As far as I know we all just get one of them so to use it up on so much work is counter productive to the free spirit a man is born with.

Only advise a poor soul like me can give to such a high roller as you.
1] throw the damn cell phone in the river, now, tell work you have an errand to run. Put the phone in a sack with a cement block and over the bridge it goes.

Or I could do what JD Jones did last week: go wet wading on the Holy Water with his phone (on) in his pocket ...

2] go fish for the rest of the day and while on the river think about how you are going to tell Joan about how you no longer are employed and that she better get her passport in order because you are taking her on a wonderful 2 year world tour.

The flip side is you can be on the river during your lunch hour (like I get one more than once a week...) .. it's a 'you can run, but you can't hide thing.

Truely good luck in finding a cure for your affliction.
We love you here at flytalk and want to help.

Someone above noted he loved being in Sr. Mgmt; I agree as Joan and I were both there for many years ... and well rewarded for our efforts. But what got me to 'retire' the first time was our 1994 tax bill. Paid State and Federal, et. al. gladly (I'm one of those folks who think most Government Agencies actually do a pretty good job given the demands on them.).

But the thought struck me a month or so later that between State, Federal, SS, and State sales taxes, etc., we were in about a 55%+ tax bracket. Resigned about 2 weeks later and went back to college. Household income cut by about 47% but actual after tax disposable income was close to the same.

Make a 1/4 of what I used to, Joan's retired, we live in So. Oregon, my morning commute is about 15 minutes in zero traffic, steelhead-salmon fishing is 20 minutes from the office door ...

Life is pretty darned good!!:D
fae

kush
06-20-2003, 12:52 PM
The difference between being a counsellor like Dana and a classroom teacher like myself in late June is a world apart. Right now I love my job. I'm done my work and esssentially I am planning my summer fishing adventures!

I do consider myself extremely lucky. I generally love what I do, I have a job that is never boring, I could be teaching the same thing day after day - but the interactions with the kids are never the same.

For 25 years I coached Varsity Basketball in an elite program - another whole set of exciting rewards. This year was the first year of my retirement from coaching, many of my coaching peers thought I would miss the game - not true. However, they are just not aware of the depth of the passion I have for for fishing.

Two things came about this year for me, one I could fish more - no weekend games or trips for B-ball and two, I found that the classroom part of teaching was even easier. Without the organizational, time and competitive stresses of coaching the teaching part was relaxing.

Of course I would like to fish twice as often, I'd even love to have 1 or 2 weeks of discretionary time in the fall so I could get to the Skeena country, but I've got it pretty good. The cool thing about this thread is that it causes us to look at what we have got. Some of us may need to re-evaluate and make some healthy changes, others may need to remind themselves that they have a good situation and appreciate it.

Good thread Dana, hang in there buddy - the Dean trip is not that far away! :D ;) :) :smokin:

BobK
06-20-2003, 01:24 PM
I guess the point of my last post was to make sure you take stock of where you are, and accurately determine WHEN you can retire - and in a reasonable style. If you can, more power to you - join us retired folks and have fun.

Just don't get carried away too soon and make your decisions realistically - there are too many pitfalls along the way (and just remember - there is inflation - I never saw "Cost of Living" come down.

For you younger guys, get an education at something you enjoy - you'll be good at it and successful! You've got to be preparing (and investing) and start real early to make it work! Otherwise it will be a disaster - you won't go fishing because you can't afford gas, let alone a car.

Sorry, but that's life! And DON'T count on government "doing something about it" - every step they take forward is really 2 steps backwards.

BobK

KerryS
06-20-2003, 02:09 PM
I plan on winning the lottery...............................:smokin: I wish it would happen soon I am getting tired of waiting:eyecrazy:

fredaevans
06-20-2003, 03:35 PM
:D
fae

DFix
06-20-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by fredaevans
:D
fae

DAMN !!!

striblue
06-20-2003, 06:58 PM
Thanks and all good advise....Finished 18 today... and walked extremely slow and took it easy... Stopped...looked around... nobody in front or in back and sat down watching some hawks from a tee bench.... Looking forward to Monday mornings.... heading to the cape for all of July and August and no driving back Sunday night... finally will fix the front window and point my chimney.... Have my book list and mosquito laterns . Thinking of getting back into cooking again.... anyway.. thanks for the posts and you know where to stop by if your in Chatham..you are all welcome.... and we we spend a whole day fishing. So if any of you "old geassers"(spelled that wong)want to take a ride to Chatham..let me know...

speybum
06-20-2003, 08:27 PM
Guys,
I hate my vocation but love my avocation.
Have been working on those flying machines since 69 and never really liked it.
But it beats cooking in a log camp or being sawyer or sum such bother as that.
My avocation is working in my little peace of heaven that is great.
Weave a few flies, cast a few rods and catch a few fish, what could be better!
I know I will be changing my avocation into my vocation one of these days.
:smokin:

Leland Miyawaki
06-20-2003, 09:54 PM
I'm fairly sure that I had been as close to being a fishbum as you can get and still be working. And now circumstances are moving me in directions I never foresaw. When I opened my freelance advertising creative service, I was able to shift my time, thereby fishing first, working second at most any time of the day. Income was good until post 9/11. Ad work has been slow since then. I was offered a part time job at Patrick's Fly Shop where I could work with my friends, Les Johnson, John Farrar and Jimmy LeMert. What a hoot this has been! I'll be guiding saltwater beach popper trips soon, selling my flies at the shop, writing, and doing my advertising work (which is picking up) AND fishing again every morning. Hey! I'm on way to being a fishbum again!

Leland.

KerryS
06-20-2003, 10:17 PM
Hey Fred don't worry about me I have a helluva plan b.

flytyer
06-20-2003, 11:06 PM
I was just thinking that what all of us who are not retired yet want or desire is more time astream. No matter how much we like our job (those of us who actually took the time to get into a career/job that suits us well), or dislike our job we all want to spend more time fishing during our working life. Fly fishing, fly tying, and conservation are common passions of all of us who participate or lurk here on the forum. And we have all developed wonderful relationships and friendships through meeting others who share our love of this sport.

We can share past, present, and future trips and fish; the literature of our chosen sport; the helping of newcomers to the sport; and simply talking about things that have nothing to do with work or the pressures of life. And fly fishing is a great way to spend an hour, a few hours, a day, a week, etc. of our time. And there are no deadlines on the river to boot.

fredaevans
06-20-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by KerryS
Hey Fred don't worry about me I have a helluva plan b.

Rich, buff, "properly oriented" single women are few and far between.:devil:

fae

Greg Pavlov
06-21-2003, 12:38 AM
I've often felt like I've spent way too much of my time working for
the past 30 years, and feel like I owe myself more, or am "owed"
more in some sense. Then I think of where I am in this world and
what the alternatives might have been. I could have spent my
life behind the Iron Curtain if my parents hadn't had the courage
to pick up and start over twice in new countries, beginning with
almost nothing each time. Or I could have been born, as the
majority of the people on this planet have, in a situation in which,
if I were lucky, I'd earn in a year what I now spend on a fly rod.
I like to look at myself as having earned where I am, but the
reality is that I also won the roll of the dice. And the truth is
that most of us do have much more control over what we do with
our time & our lives provided that - for most of us - we are willing
to trade some financial accoutrements for the privilege.

MikeB
06-21-2003, 10:41 PM
Guys,
After reading your posts I have come to the conclusion that I hate work and I'm not even out of University yet. I guess I've only got oh 31 years until I can take early retirement at 55 so maybe things aren't so bad after all. If there are any steelhead, let alone a planet left, I should be ok.

Some black humor with a hint of pessimism is in my opinion the best way to look at life's "challenges", and have no regrets, you end up wasting too much time dwelling and not enough time doing. But hey, what do I know anyway...

Mike