Rip Trip---UPDATE [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rip Trip---UPDATE

striblue
06-18-2003, 07:51 PM
Keith has got back to me and indicated that July 13 and 26 are open... I will ask Juro and Craig and Hawkeye...again...if they do not think those are good days. Keith has a birding group going down at 7 on the 12th ..so that's out. If we can get agreement on the days, I will set it up with Keith with a fall back date... but will need to confire with him on that.

striblue
06-19-2003, 11:15 PM
BUMP! Any thoughts on the dates. ?

FishHawk
06-20-2003, 06:33 AM
Either one would be ok but I would lean towards the eariler date as the fish are much fresher. However , the best date with the better tide should be the one . I don't have the tide chart in front of me so whatever the group wants is fine by me. FishHawk.:smokin:

juro
06-20-2003, 07:24 AM
July 13 - tide is a big minus (good) but late in the afternoon (bad). The low would not occur until after we leave. Thursday or Friday would be the best days in this period.

The 26th is a mild tide and occurs an hour earlier in the day (good) but we have anedotal experience to believe that the stronger tides are the better tides although with only a few outings per year it's hard to develop much of a knowledge base.

Bill, in this fishery the freshness of the fish isn't really an issue like the flats for instance, but the presence of bait in the rip is the key. If the bait is hanging close to the shoreline, the fish line up for the buffet when the current kicks into high gear.

It's a well known feeding behavior that when the current exceeds the baitfish's swimming skills the stripers take advantage with their exceptional high current navigation abilitites. Even still they hug the bottom because it's the zone of least current in the column.

Best days IMHO - Thursday July 10 or Friday July 11

I will be on the Gaspe' spey fishing for Canadian atlantics or else I'd be all over this rip trip!

striblue
06-20-2003, 09:11 AM
OK... what can we get for July 11 or 12... not a weekend so can we come up with 10 guys on a weekday???????? I would be one so 9 more? I will post a separate thread.