Fly Fishing Forum banner

Chatham parking / walking / shuttles

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Penguin 
#1 ·
Still relatively new to the area and hoping to sample the Chatham area fishing that seems to be great at the moment. Without asking anyone to give up sweet spots, I'm hoping I might be able to get a headstart by asking a few questions:

1. Where can I park? Seems you need a sticker to park just about anywhere east of Albany.

2. South Beach...can I get there walking from the Light, or is the Rip Ryder the best way to reach the best fishing?

3. Going to Monomoy better than southbeach for a first-timer to this area?

Thanks,

mark

#2 ·
Mark, I'm a Monomoy novice myself, but i'll answer what I can.

You can park on the causeway that leads out to morris island. I think you can also park right at the light early in the morning, but they start ticketing at 8ish- hopefully someone else will chime in on this one, because I'm not really sure about it.

You can reach south beach on foot, but it's a heck of a haul over soft sand, you're probably better off taking the ferry if it's running.

I've never been to North Monomoy before, so I'm hoping someone else will weigh in on this one. I have had some great days on south beach, both on the flats and on the surf side.

#3 ·
1. Yes you're right parking is an issue around here - but if you decide to fish Morris Island on the refuge or take Rip Ryder to the hinterlands then the parking's free. You can only park at the lighthouse from 4:30p to 9:30a but the refuge parking is 24/7 for fishermen.

2. Yes you can fish SB from the light (see parking). Best fishing is reached via Rip Ryder because it saves you a few miles of walking. That being said the section that is easily walked from the light is outstanding on the right tides.

3. Definitely more apt to find and catch fish from SB than NM, and SB offers the big beach just over the dune. The ocean side is very productive and can offer shelter from strong W/SW winds if needed. Monomoy's east side shoreline is the easiest to fish, the flats to the west are much harder to figure out and you should probably go with someone who knows them or fish them on a dropping tide to learn the lay of the land before venturing out on the flood. To answer your question, SB is better for a first-timer on their own but there are wade guides who can give you the skinny on North Monomoy, myself included.

There are a lot of good fishing venues from the canal all the way to P-town. If you want to find big fish, lots of options out there. But if you are looking to sight fish, Chatham is about as good as it gets without a boat.

Good luck

#4 ·
AND...

If you wanna' catch phish...
Consider hiring the BeachNinjaShoreGuide...
If there are hungry striped consumers out there, Juro WILL make the love connection!:eyecrazy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.