Monomoy on Saturday? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Monomoy on Saturday?

Mattb
06-18-2003, 09:01 AM
I'm thinking of heading down to Monomoy this weekend, probably Saturday.

It looks like low @ Stage Harbor will be around noon, which I'm guessing isn't ideal, but I'm going anyway.

Does anyone have suggestions for fishing this tide out there? I usually make it down once a year, and in the past I've done ok just wandering around until I find fish, but I figured a little research couldn't hurt this year.

Also, should I be tying up anything special this week?

-Matt

juro
06-23-2003, 09:03 PM
Matt -

Somehow missed this post, must've been recovering from the previous week down there when you posted the q. :D

Early ebb with high water is still good fishing so if you are hoofing around before the shuttle runs you'll have water on the flats as well as fish hunting close to shore on the outside beaches (highs around 6:30a-7:20 on Sun.

The trick with mid-day lows is to find out where the fish are staging before they move again for the flood - if you do the action is fast and furious. An example is the kettle right at the boat drop on south beach - sometimes the best time is dead low when you can get a fly deep in the hole. I always take a shot or two into the hole and some days you just don't want to leave. Bait also needs to find a place to hold up during lows, so when the two hole up together you can be sure of fast action.

Traditionally in that area the late drop is pretty dead at least by conventional approaches for that area. Best bet is to find the bait, failing that find the low tide staging hole. The fish haven't left the area, but they are not particularly hunting during that tide.

If you can't find anything going on the top of the tub is a good bet to find some fish at dead low blind casting into the drop off.

There are several other low-holes but I will let you find them out for yourself! :devil:

Of course a mid-day low still gives you 2.5-3 hours of prime flood before the bus leaves, so if you know any early flood hotspots that's where I'd place my bets.

Of course this is all moot since the weekend passed, so instead of retroactive replies, how'd you do?

striblue
06-23-2003, 09:37 PM
Well... there you go.... all great advise...

jfbasser
06-23-2003, 09:53 PM
My tide chart shows HIGH at Stage at 12:22 PM. I plan to be down:devil: :smokin: :confused:

jfbasser
06-23-2003, 09:56 PM
Sorry ...wrong weekend old post I guess. i should check the original post dates:hehe: :smokin: :eyecrazy: :confused:

Slinger
06-24-2003, 12:37 AM
JF lets try to hook up. I want to go but want some company that knows the lay of the beach.
Slinger

Mattb
06-24-2003, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the Monomoy tips Juro, I'll file this post away for future reference.

With the poor weather forecasted for Saturday, I decided to put off the monomoy trip and score some brownie points by accompanying the wife to Newport. I still got to fish all day, but I saved the monomoy trip for some other time- hopefully when there's better tides and weather.

Fishing in newport was slow. I picked up schoolies just about everywhere I tried, but nothing with any size to it, and I had to work to catch what I did. I didn't see any blues, but the guys at SWE said they'd been in and out.

jfbasser
06-24-2003, 03:36 PM
Your PM box is full.