Motor home "camping" on the North Umpqua. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Motor home "camping" on the North Umpqua.

fredaevans
06-17-2003, 10:45 PM
"Kids" have given Joan and I the use of their 31' motor home (class C) for the next few months. Would love to spend some time on the North Umpqua running after Mr. Summer Run.

Don't know diddly about the area for camping, RV parks, etc.

Anyone got a good web site/info on where to get reservations?
fae/jee/sheeba/saki .. the fuzz-ball Simese.
fae

Jeff
06-18-2003, 02:23 AM
Susan Creek is probably the only camp ground that can handle a 31' Motor home. It is also the nicest. I don't know if they take reservations though and it is about 8 miles up the fly only water.

JJ

Rick J
06-18-2003, 09:50 AM
Fred,
Think Jeff is right about the camp ground situation. It seems to me though that I have passed a trailer park or two down river from the fly water. You might give Joe H a call at the Blue Heron Fly Shop and see if he has any ideas (541) 496-0448.

Best regards,
Rick

fredaevans
06-18-2003, 02:16 PM
Suspect motor home 'camping' may be limited in the area but would be fun to step out of the door with rod in hand. Loved that when Joan and I had our second home on the lower Chetco river.
fae

BobK
06-18-2003, 10:08 PM
Poor baby! Having to rough it in a "tin teepee"! How tough. That's really hard to take, but I guess someone's gotta do it!

Man - I don't know if I would feel right. Imagine - hot meals, fresh, steaming coffee to wake up by - and sleeping in a real bed at night! And real ice cubes to chill the jug of single malt! Hope the sasquatches don't bug you too much!

Now THAT'S living. Think of us poor folks once in a while when you are enjoying it!

BobK

fredaevans
06-19-2003, 12:25 AM
Just borrowing it for a couple of months. Actually, can think of a lot of reasons why this would not be my rig of choice as a 'fisherman.'

Comfort out the ying yang ... but so how do you get up/down stream without another car? So Joan drives 'the rig' there and I'm behind in the old Ford Explorer. Etc.

Think a newer truck with a 5th wheel, or a tow trailer, would make a heck of a lot more sense .... and at $60K you have a heck of a lot of choices. Also suspect for 30-40K you could save a heck of a lot of money .... so the JoanMeister could spend a few more summers in Europe.
fae

roballen
06-19-2003, 01:45 AM
you guys sure Susan creek can accomodate a 30 foot trailer???

fredaevans
06-19-2003, 06:30 AM
slots for rigs that size.

Good web search shows several private RV parks along the North Umpqua that can handle larger rigs. Overnight charge was extreamly reasonable for a full hook up. $22/night, less two bucks for AAA, etc.
fae

BobK
06-19-2003, 08:19 AM
My wife and I looked at Winnebagos, fifth wheels, conventional trailers, etc. for ourselves a couple of years ago, for the "best rig" for us. After deciding that, at a minimum, we would have to buy some kind of new vehicle as well, we said to hell with it.

It is cheaper to travel in comfort to your destination, stay in good hotels, etc. than to get one. It boils down to bucks spent versus how much use you actually get. Depreciation alone is the big killer. Just ask Fred - he is the banker.

Probably the best option would be a "pop-up" camping trailer - not so much invested and reasonable comfort for the fishing/hunting trips, but air transport/good hotels for long distance vacations.

Just our observations and what made sense to us.....

BobK

fredaevans
06-19-2003, 04:14 PM
Think the 'kids' still owe something like 60K on this 2002 rig at $500+/mth. The HP-12 suggests they have something like a 15 year term loan with interest and princ. amortization. Pay it off in 2017? I'd be 75. :>)

:whoa: Hoy Vey .... as you noted: a lot of first class hotels could be buried in that kind of $.

fae