Monomoy [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Monomoy

Stevo
06-16-2003, 05:24 PM
When would be a good time of year to visit this area for the Stripers, bearing in mind that i will be travelling from across "the pond"

Thanks

Stevo

jfbasser
06-16-2003, 06:22 PM
If it is only for a week, I would pick a week in June with high tides that straddle the midday.

striblue
06-16-2003, 07:55 PM
JB is right but July is good too..it all depends on the production year and spring weather... this year I would expect a hot summer with lots of sand eels unlike last year.. One of our members..Adrian Sharp who's forum name is Adrian is from across the pond also but now lives in Connecticut.. You should also e-mail him as he is a monomoy regular. So I would venture to say the last two weeks of June and the first two weeks of July. Monomoy produces all summer but the fish take on an "attitude" by mid summer but are still there.

capt_gordon
06-18-2003, 05:32 AM
Hey Stevo,
Ya just cound't take my word for it could you. :-) These guys know what they are talking about. If you can make it over here next June we are there...
Gordo

rooster
06-18-2003, 09:59 AM
Just left the Cape after about a week up there. Fished Monomoy, South Beach and surrounding areas. Monomoy is fishing well, especially when the sun is out. I have usually had good luck in June and July on Monomoy. I have seen it good the last week of May, but the water is cooler this year and it didn't get going over there until June, this year.
You may want to consider hiring a guide or fishing with someone who has been there the first time, as there is alot of area over there to fish and a little local knowledge goes a long way.
Cheers,
DK

striblue
06-18-2003, 10:11 AM
The forum would be glad to recommend some Guides for you before you come.

Broadbill
06-18-2003, 04:43 PM
Hell, John, the guy is coming all the way from England to fish in your backyard. The least the forum can do is give him a funny hat, a pint at the CAC, and point him toward a productive point. :hehe:

Seriously, Stevo, look at all the threads around this one with Chatham, South Beach, Monomoy or Rip in the title. Use the "search" function for previous year's threads. They all carry useful intelligence for your visit. As you start to narrow in on a time frame--and September is pretty good if you can't make in the next week or two--come back here and narrow your questions. What flies, what tackle, what accomodations? You'll find a large group of unselfish and helpful people ready to pass on what they know.

And take Striblue up on his guide advice. There's one fella in particular--a founder of this board--who knows a thing or two about Monomoy. I think Striblue has his number. ;)

juro
06-18-2003, 09:17 PM
We have many sponsors who can offer many seasons worth of knowledge for a reasonable day's pay, and the Monomoy area hosts some of the best at the game.

BUT you certainly don't need to hire a guide every day to have fun and catch fish. One of the founding ideas behind the forum is to host our fellow members from around the worldwide web. I apologize that I have been less able to accomodate visitors since recent life changes, feel kinda bad about it to tell the truth.

I hope we can roll out the carpet for you and help you experience the fullest from this area!

striblue
06-18-2003, 09:45 PM
I certainly would help out as broadbill and Juro mention.

Stevo
06-19-2003, 10:17 AM
:whoa:
Guys: What can i say!
Thankyou all very much for your input.
Gordon sorry man, but i posted the question just before i e-mailed you.

Stevo

juro
06-19-2003, 11:19 AM
For flats boats guides in the Chatham area our sponsor Capt. Dave Sanderson (Stripstrike Charters) runs the Hewes 18' Redfisher on the flats.

You can contact him via www.stripstrike.com