Monomoy Squid Patterns [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Monomoy Squid Patterns

Moron_Saxatilis
06-16-2003, 05:41 AM
I'm hitting Monomoy this week again and would like to throw a squid around. What would be a good size and color scheme? I've heard they can be effective on larger fish out there. Thanks, Brian

juro
06-16-2003, 09:20 PM
I prefer light tan with dull pink highlights to match their natural appreance on the flats, subtle red/browns (angry squid) work too and tied in small sizes 2-3". I think there are some in the striper fly archive. Fun to fish, but fish tend to target pods of squid rather than singles in my experiences when squid were roaming the channels in the flats.

They don't call stripers squidhounds for nothin'

FishHawk
06-17-2003, 04:37 AM
I have had great success with the standard Clouser with pink tied in the wing. I second Juro's recommendation. :smokin: FishHawk

Moron_Saxatilis
06-17-2003, 07:44 PM
Thanks,
I threw a 5" squid pattern in a school of ~200 stripers and got one. Then did it again. Don't think fly/pattern mattered. Stripped it back a few times w/ scales on it. School was in 2' of water and cycloning like nervous menhaden. There were a dozen seals around, close. Interesting thing was that the stripers were 22-34" and there was a big blue (34"+) just hanging with them. Juro, I threw the clams back.