July 2004 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: July 2004

Dana
06-15-2003, 09:39 AM
Next year is looking like my first for stripers--I'm pretty psyched! I'll be trading my Dean river funds for tickets to striper mecca. Any thoughts or helpful hints would be much appreciated--rod & line lengths and weights, bugs to tie, other gear to bring, etc. I want to start accumulating now rather than shocking the credit card next June!

doogue
06-15-2003, 02:02 PM
Dana,

I am sure that any one of us East Coast Striper Hounds would be glad to lend you a setup for the week. I will even offer up my 9 weight Sage RPLXi coupled with a Ross BG5 complete with clear intermediate and 350 grain lines. I have 2 full setups and can do without one for a week.

If your steelhead pursuits don't call for such a setup then there is no real reason for you to gear up just for this trip.

Then again, gearing up can be fun.;)

Other than that I figure that you will be on the flats and sight fishing in July. The Deep Eel (clouser style) and a few shrimp and crab patterns ought to get you started.

Good luck - even if it is one year in advance.

-Mike

Nick
06-15-2003, 07:29 PM
Same here...any help I can give would be no problem at all. Gear, flies, por attempts at humor...

Just got back from the BB day and an afternoon afterwards...reports to follow. Turned out to be a doozy.

Nick

striblue
06-15-2003, 09:03 PM
Dana..I will put some info together and get back to you.