2 striper limit opinion poll [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 2 striper limit opinion poll

juro
06-11-2003, 07:39 AM
With respect to the recent MA reg changes, how would you set the regs if you were in charge of MA striped bass fisheries?

Sprocket
06-11-2003, 09:10 AM
I've talked with a biologist with Mass DMF (Division of Marine Fisheries) and asked why 28".

The answer came back stating that the biomass can handle the removal of these fish. There was more but I can't quote accurately but that was the bottom line.

I've also read enough to know that these fish MAY have spawned already - ONCE!

O.K. - I'm no Forrest Gump but I ain't Einstien either...the result is a self-imposed keeper size of 36", 1 fish per year, on fly gear.

juro
06-11-2003, 09:11 AM
Sounds good to me, count me in on the 1x36FF club.

FishHawk
06-11-2003, 09:42 AM
I would not kill the larger fish. They are the ones who lay more eggs and while they may not spawn in one year for what ever reason they are mature enough to know where and when to spawn again. I just think that the larger fish are more benificial to the fishery. I would reduce some of the smaller fish population. Perhaps one fish 28". FishHawk

Sprocket
06-11-2003, 10:21 AM
Hawk - would you then support a slot limit? A "Larger than X but smaller than Y" type?

I see your point and it's in line with my friend at the DMF, if remember correctly.

juro
06-11-2003, 10:49 AM
There are three ways to kill less fish - limit the number of fish, limit the size of fish, limit the methods by which we fish.

(MA):

- We currently have the annual limit to 730 fish per angler.

- We currently have the size set to 28" or greater.

- We currently have no restrictions on angling methods.

Is there a problem? DUH

Too many fish are killed for consumption. Too many fish are killed incidentally during angling. At least the consumed fish were utilized.

I would like to see more refinement in the angling methods - circle hooks required for bait for instance. I would also like to see a seasonal limit - 20 fish per year per angler. That's at least 100 pounds of striper fillet per household. I would also like to see a slot limit where the public is allowed to harvest (limited) from the least vulnerable year class in the overall population, across the entire region not just Massachusetts.

Adrian
06-11-2003, 11:02 AM
I was thinking along the lines of an anual limit too but it wasn't in the list of options. Difficult/expensive to enforce? Some type of tag system - pick up your 20 tag allocation at the start of the year. Get your keeper and affix the tag immediately etc. These systems have been around for a while for commercials.

I went for the one at 28 + limitation on methods - I too would rather see the bigger fish swim away.

Slot limit sounds o.k. .... 28 < xxxx < 35 maybe ?

BigDave
06-11-2003, 11:06 AM
I think a Seasonal limit is a great idea. 20 fish seems like a fair number.

Slot limits make more sense for the reason Fishhawk outlined. Plus those big cows aren't as good to eat as the ones that just make the limit anyway.

Either a seasonal limit or a slot would be a step in the right direction...unlike this year's bonehead legislation. 2 fish over 28" goes right up there with no beer sales on Sunday...only in Massachusetts :confused:

DFix
06-11-2003, 11:55 AM
Gamefish Status; don't see that on the poll...

And larger fish produce larger egg sheds.

jfbasser
06-11-2003, 12:07 PM
Slot limit.

Also pro gamefish status.

Gamefish status allows for taking of fish by recreational anglers so a limit will still be required.

shadfreak
06-11-2003, 12:53 PM
slot limit is ok along with gamefish status.
Larry

ssully
06-11-2003, 02:08 PM
2003 MAINE STRIPED BASS REGULATIONS

Maine's striped bass regulations cover all Maine coastal waters up to the head of tide in all rivers. In addition, there are special regulations in effect from December 1 through June 30 in the Kennebec, Sheepscot and Androscoggin Rivers and all related tributaries (see below).

STATEWIDE REGULATIONS

OPEN SEASON - January 1 through December 31, inclusive (except the Kennebec watershed, see below).
BAG & SIZE LIMITS - A person may take and possess 1 fish per day. The fish may be between 20 and 26 inches total length, inclusive, OR 40 inches or greater in total length.
DISPOSITION - Personal Use Only, sale is prohibited. Fish must remain whole and intact while fishing.
GENERAL GEAR RESTRICTIONS - Hook and line only, no gaffing of striped bass

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPECIAL KENNEBEC ** REGULATIONS
(Including the Sheepscot and Androscoggin Rivers and all related bays and tributaries)

OPEN SEASON - July 1 through November 30, inclusive.

CATCH & RELEASE SEASON WITH SPECIAL GEAR RESTRICTIONS - From May 1 through June 30, inclusive. Fishing in this area is restricted to single hooked * artificial lures only and use of or possession of marine bait, dead or alive, is prohibited.

CLOSED SEASON - Striped bass fishing is prohibited from December 1 through April 30, inclusive.
( * may be a single treble hook)

Sprocket
06-11-2003, 03:27 PM
I got some info from the Mass DMF - here's the web site:

www.mass.gov/marinefisheries

Check the site for thier newsletter.

Also, if anyone is interested in the letter written by Director Diodati - I can forward you a copy - please PM or email for more info.

rooster
06-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Go with a slot limit, one fish under 24" or one over 36"
Let em swim!!!
DK

doogue
06-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Until recently I had never kept a fish during a solo outing. However, in late-May 2003 a 31" striper inhaled my Rats Ass near Chatham Light and the hook was buried deep, deep in its throat. Right away I knew that I could not back the hook out of this fish without seriously stressing the fish. It was going to swim away and die.

This was a bittersweet moment for me. I like to practice catch and release but at the same time my in-laws were in town and begging for some fresh striper meat (they are from Indiana).

In truth I was sort of happy to learn the tricks involved in filleting a fish from my Dad (we were fishing together when I caught the fish). The generational transfer of these tried and true methods of filleting a fish was a moment of great joy and appreciation and respect.

Back to the moral of this story: that fish provided enough meat for 6 people or more. We wasted some of the meat.

Therefore I think that a slot limit makes sense. I like the Maine slot. It provides a decent fish for a family of 4 (I respect the right for a fisherman to keep a fish for the table) but keeps the mid-thirties fish available for the spawn. If I took a 33" fish home for the table (I am married with no kids) then I would be wasting some meat. A 24" fish would be perfect.

I also support a yearly limit on the number of fish that can be kept - although this might be really difficult to enforce. This 2 fish a day stuff is wrong.

Just my thoughts...

FishHawk
06-11-2003, 06:59 PM
I could support a slot limit. However, the key to all of this is the one that is not mentioned. Enforcement. Without a few arrest and the lack of visiable Environmental police around people will take sublegal fish. Make a few arrests and the word will spread. FishHawk

juro
06-11-2003, 07:02 PM
IMHO - regulations are like padlocks, they only keep honest people in line. Poachers will poach regardless of the regs, but most honest fishermen will kill their maximum annual limit given the chance.

It's one of the three methods of reducing mortality - size, quantity and method. I think we need to think about all three, and on a regional level not state.

rooster
06-11-2003, 08:41 PM
Go with a slot limit, one fish under 24" or one over 36"
Let em swim!!!
DK

I should also qualify my earlier comment. Once you kill a fish, you should stop fishing for the day.
Let em swim!
DK
:tsk_tsk:

Chris
06-11-2003, 09:26 PM
I like our slot limit here in Maine, 1 fish 20-26 OR one over 40. The 20" - 26" fish is - if you must- a good eating size. It hasn't been around long enough to ingest much in the way of the toxins we are always warned about. The fish in that range are also much less prolific spawners so taking one occasionally puts little stress on the nusery. I live on the Kennebec and fish it a lot so my harvesting window, if I used it is greatly shortened.

Smcdermott
06-11-2003, 10:07 PM
I have not done enough research to have an educated opinion but I think the slot limit of smaller fish sounds best. I think Fishawk eluded to the true challenge. Where do we get the money to enforce the regulations and educate. It seems like we all agree there is a need to improve on the current system but how many anglers put their money where their mouth is? As anglers we need to find a plan that is actionable and achievable.

Sean

juro
06-11-2003, 10:34 PM
As mentioned in the previous discussion of this topic, I would go for a saltwater license. If we collected $5 or $10 per annum from everyone going for stripers, we'd have more EPO's than we knew what to do with.

doug
06-12-2003, 06:00 AM
Count me in for 1 fish at 36".

rooster
06-12-2003, 06:56 AM
If they are looking for $s, go with a slot limit, and consider selling a book of tags for any fish that folks kill., say 5 tags for $20. In CA we get punch cards for our salmon. Let those that want to catch 'em and release them continue to enjoy the saltwater as we do now.
Tight lines,
DK

doogue
06-12-2003, 07:06 AM
We use tags for salmon in NH too. 5 per year.

It is not a bad system.

Just FYI.

Sprocket
06-12-2003, 08:24 AM
The use tags for the salmon in Ireland too - easy to use, easy to regulate as you have to return used and unused tags...and I believe slamon is considered a game fish there...

mikez
06-12-2003, 12:00 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned the commercial fishery in massachusetts! If I'm not mistaken, Ma has the most commercial, if not the ONLY commercial harvest among the northeastern states. I don't have time right now to research it, but I think there is a lot of fish harvested by hook and line and sold legally with an inexpensive permit in Ma. If anyone can confirm or deny, please do.

Although it's becoming an unpopular stance, I'm against the slot limit as applied in Maine. There is only one reason I feel that way, and it's based on fishing for stripers in the Casco Bay area for about a dozen years. That reason is the fact that the slot limit has made it SO INCREDABLY EASY for virtually anybody to catch a keeper in Maine. In my opinion, this is directly responsible for vastly increasing the number of fishermen targeting stripers. I believe hundreds of meat fishermen never bothered to fish for stripers when the limit was reasonably challenging. My personal observations in Maine since the slot limit began supports this theory. Striper fishermen are coming out of the woodwork, and they are ALL catching keepers! It's simple math - if you increase the number of fishermen, while also making it easier to get a keeper, the harvest has got to increase. Even if many fish are released, the increased pressure translates to increased hook mortality.
Having said that, I do agree the bigger fish make better breeders and the little fish taste better and are cleaner.

Dble Haul
06-12-2003, 12:09 PM
FWIW, I'm pretty sure that RI has commercial fishing for stripers.

I selected the one fish at 36" for the reasons that mikez alluded to....I also spent many years in Maine and saw much of the same thing. Prior to the slot, the regs in Maine allowed for the taking of one fish at 36" or above and the fishing was quite good.

DFix
06-12-2003, 01:12 PM
COMM'S:
MA, RI, NY, DE, MD, VA, NC, SC.

GAMEFISH: ME, NH, CT, NJ, PA, GA.

Mike - take a look at: www.stripersforever.org for the numbers on MA commercial tickets.

ssully
06-12-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by mikez
I can't believe no one has mentioned the commercial fishery in massachusetts!

I did Mike in your Merrimac thread. I summed it up in one word. Greed.

fliboy
06-14-2003, 10:31 AM
I like Adrian's original ideas of tags, and 20 sounds like a good number - wish they would also do that with trout. Although I don't keep fish much myself, I do know some guys who are strictly "meat fisherman" - and I have openly expressed my opinion to them - that I think their practice "s--ks"!.

I also would like to see a slot of 28" to 34" - keeping the bigger ones in there for spawning. Maybe one fish per year (back to the tags) for one over say 38". This would allow the folks out there who want to mount a trophy.

Just my $0.02.

DaveP