Bathtub [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bathtub

Moron_Saxatilis
06-08-2003, 02:27 PM
I'm putting in a kayak at Morris Island tomorrow morning and heading towards flatsville. Where is this bathtub spot? I'm guessing the corner where South beach ends on the inside? What is the approx. depth in there?
Thanks,
Brian

juro
06-08-2003, 05:57 PM
Yes, that's it. The area is shaped like a mitten with the thumb being Outermost Harbor (west) and there is a shallow flat between the thumb and fingers. I'd guesstimate the deepest part (not including the inside mooring basin) to be about 8-10 feet at peak flood, but while rowing you can stay over 2 feet of water all day if desired by hugging the shoreline on either side.

You can explore on the ebb without worry to the south, the flood will push you back to the causeway in the mid-afternoon.

Good luck!

Paxton
06-08-2003, 06:02 PM
With your back to the Chatham Lighthouse....the tub is the right side of the land mass that leads eventually to South Beach. Two flats left and right.....bewteen is approximately 5 to 7 ft I believe....if you're lucky, blues this time of year can be seen circling around the edges of the deep water drop offs between the two flats. End of flats (in front of Outermost Marine/Marker Buoys) is much deeper and a good bet area at low tide. Facing the tub, to the left are numerous other flats to try, esp. the ones on points.
Best of luck.
Ron