Nauset Harbor north to P-Town..what sized bait? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Nauset Harbor north to P-Town..what sized bait?

pmjasper
06-07-2003, 06:13 AM
Hi guys, I will be making my first trip to Cape Cod June 15th-22nd and plan on fishing Nauset Harbor/Town Cove north to Provincetown via wading and kayak. I was wondering what size bait you have been seeing up there. I've been tying alot of sandeel patterns but am unclear of exactly what size I should be keying on. In addition, are there any other baits that have been prevalent at this time? Any information would be greatly appreciated as I would like to get one more week of tying in before the trip. Thank you.

metzpetit@aol.com

juro
06-07-2003, 06:20 AM
Contact our sponsor Harry Koons of Nauset Angler for up-to-the-minute info on Nauset Beach.

I also run up and down the beach from East Orleans to Chatham a lot (oversand) and the bait du jour is sand eels especially down the inlet end, tied approx 5-6" or one half the length of ultrahair fibers (folded and teased to a point).

Harry recently put a 30+ pounder on the boat with a herring imitation, although it was not a fly. The Pleasant Bay fish are tuned into herring on the inside of Nauset as they are this time of year. A Roger's bigeye baitfish will do well, also try them in black at night.

There are really big blues around this year so bring wire. It's all about the birds on Nauset as you probably already know.

Greg Pavlov
06-07-2003, 09:33 AM
Harry sold me apx. 4 really nice sparsely dressed
brown-tan clousers with several long thin feathers
tied in, creating a very slinky 4" fly that caught fish
in both Nauset & Stage harbors. Beyond that, I
caught fish prettty much all over on plain chart/white
clousers, heavily weighted/dressed for surf, lightly
weighted/dressed for elsewhere. Nighttime was
another story.