North Central Idaho - 8/10/03 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: North Central Idaho - 8/10/03

Mean Mr Mustard
06-05-2003, 02:23 PM
I plan on visiting friends in the Clearwater River area this August and could use some advice/suggestions for the various fisheries at this time of year. I have heard that some ffers will be spey casting to steelies, yet some reports I have picked up suggests that this time period would be too early for such a fishery. Now I know there to be lots of nice trout water in this area (to include the Lochsa River and tribs.) and wonder whether my time would be better spent pursuing these.

For those who don't like posting such info on the web for ALL to see, please PM me.

Thanks all...

mmm

juro
06-05-2003, 07:26 PM
You should drop our sponsor RedShed Flyshop a line, he's located on the Clearwater and I am sure he can give you the scoop.

Mean Mr Mustard
06-05-2003, 08:15 PM
Juro,

Absolutely; MJC is, along with his wife, the friends I plan on visiting - friends I met through your great forum, thank you! Still, he has a business to run and family obligations and I hesitate to stress him needlessly while pumping him for further info.;)

While MJC has expressed an overwhelming passion for spey, I swing both ways with my rods. Besides, my spey casting will only embarrass me. And might not others have info on the excellent trout fisheries in this area? Never hurts to have more info and frankly, from what I have gleened from the web, there is so much to see and places to fish here. And that's a good thing (and please don't indict me, I know nothing about stocks, etc.).:chuckle:

mmm

juro
06-05-2003, 08:22 PM
I'm sure you'll get more info from members on the opportunities... wish I could help! Have fun, I hope to visit Mike as well as soon as I can.

Mean Mr Mustard
06-06-2003, 02:50 AM
...besides, armed with the extra info from fellow members my queries directed at Mike will be less..."duh, where do we fish, duh, where do we fish" and more like..."I hear Kingfisher River turns out some nice fish on Mondays, Wednesdays and Odd Fridays, let's do it" or "I hear the cutts get pretty aggressive on Ollie's Creek during mid-August, let's say we go see".

So I want to sound less like a tourist with cap-in-hand. And just maybe the little info I might bring will rekindle a desire to fish a long forgotten spot of his youth? Yeah, right.:chuckle:

mmm

flytyer
06-08-2003, 11:17 PM
MMM,

There is some escellent trout fishing in that neck of the woods. You are probably going to be there about 1 month early for the steelhead though you can have a ball fishing for trout in the Clearwater and its tributaries like Kelly Creek and the Selway.

Mean Mr Mustard
06-09-2003, 03:32 AM
Without spilling the beans, I have had numerous suggestions with most in agreement. I guess Bob said it best, "...hoppers, Yahoo".

I figured I would be early for the steelhead but this time period was the best I could do; my best buddy starts fall football practice the following week. Still, such a wonderful trout fishery with my son and Mike along is something to look forward to, and I certainly am!

Thanks guys!

mmm