Chota Flats Boots [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chota Flats Boots

Smolt
06-04-2003, 04:52 PM
Has anyone tried the Chota Flats Boot (the lace up model, not the neoprene, zip-up bootie)? How does it run size-wise? What is your overall opinion of the boot? Thanks in advance for all responses.

juro
06-09-2003, 06:19 PM
I don't have any direct exp w/ chota but have tried many neoprene boots over the last decade.

First question: With or without waders?

Here's what to look for IMHO...

1) Do they provide enough arch and sole support? Solid ergonomic soles with good arch support matter if you need to walk from flat to flat.

2) Do they protect against sand invasion effectively? This is the second most painful concern, look for gusseted boots only. Zippers are pretty useless once they get locked with sand IMHO.

3) Are they compatible with your stocking foot waders? It's much easier to find a pair that works while wet wading than with your waders.

4) Will they feel comfortable for a whole day of walking on sand, rocks, coral, etc? It's very difficult to find a good pair of flats boots that feel good all day.

5) Are they subtle in color to avoid sending bad signals to the fish underwater? Much less important than the other points but important just the same.

I usually go 1.5 to 2 sizes larger to wear with Simms goretex waders.

Good luck with your search and if you buy them pls let us know how you like them.

Smcdermott
06-10-2003, 03:03 PM
I have the lace up model but only use them for wet wading. I find that they run true to size for that application and have only had good experiences with them. Pretty comfortable and good support for long days standing/walking looking for the big ones.

Sean