Do You Know Coleoptera? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Do You Know Coleoptera?

DEERHAAWK
06-03-2003, 11:07 PM
FROM THE DESK OF THE BUG DOCTOR / DEPARTMENT OF LEATHERY WINGS AND BODIES THAT CRUNCH

Did you know? That the order of Coleoptera, the largest single order of bugs in the whole world, a full 28,600 species in the Great United States alone, .....has a Trout Stream Beetle?
Yes my friends, the lowly Trout Stream Beetle, Family Amphizoidae
( amfi-zoy-di ) oval shaped, dull brown/black, is an Aquatic Beetle peculiar to the cold water mountain streams of the western U.S.
They hang out on stones and other debris in eddies that keep a consistant water level.
In fact, one species prefers the warm waters of streams in the great city of Seattle, WA.!
Not the best swimmers, the Trout Stream Beetle might be a good source of food for.......what's the fish I'm thinking of?.......... ah yes, Trout!
WARNING! These little buggers are Predaceous! Do Not leave other bugs or small children un-atended!
Note: This should not be mistaken with the Whirlygig Beetle!
End Transmission

The Bugdoctor

BobK
06-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Wow! Now that was neat. All you wanted to know about Amphizoidae, but were afraid to ask! Outstanding.

Thanks for a great article. Any descriptions of effectife fly patterns?

BobK

fredaevans
06-04-2003, 12:58 PM
to Mr. Webster's book.

Very Cool.
fae

Moonlight
06-04-2003, 02:28 PM
Good stuff, but what are the little bugs that we see everywhere on ponds and side channels that nothing eats. The long legged ones that scurry across the surface when approached. I have always thought that trout did not eat them because..... but now with a pond in my front yard and a population of bass and perch and even crappies I have yet to see one get eaten! There are dozens of birds that are all the time feeding on bugs of every kind and they don't even eat these "Water Spiders". Whats that all about? This is nothing new but the possibility of finding out whats up is, so whats up with those bugs?:confused:

John Desjardins
06-04-2003, 02:46 PM
Deerhaawk, I never knew there was a trout stream beatle. thanks for the education.

Moonlight, I'll go further than you. I've noticed that you only catch minnows where there are healthy populations of water spiders.