Fly Fishing Masters? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly Fishing Masters?

willmullis
06-03-2003, 09:54 AM
Hey I was just curious if any of you guys have thought about entering the Fly Fishing Masters tournament being put on by OLN. It looks like anyone can enter and it looks like it could be alot of fun. If you haven't heard about it here's a link:

http://www.olntv.com/htmlpage.asp?htmlid=73

fishheadfred
06-05-2003, 01:37 AM
I NOMINATE YOU!!! GO FORTH, SWINGING THAT STICK, AND MAKE US ALL PROUD!!!! SERIOUSLY, THOUGH, DOES LOOK LIKE A LOT OF FUN!

fishheadfred
06-05-2003, 01:39 AM
HEY WILL,

YOU BY ANY CHANCE GOIN TO THE KY STAMPEDE IN SPARTA THIS WEEKEND? GOT 8 FREE TICKETS..

willmullis
06-05-2003, 09:20 AM
No I'm leaving for North Carolina this weekend for a nice week in the sun. Acutally as my luck has it the weater channel is calling for RAIN the entire week I'm gonna be down there. I just cannot get away from the stuff. Maybe I'll take all the rain with me so you can get out and get some of the big KY smallmouth!

DFix
06-05-2003, 10:14 AM
I can either be civilized or crass in this entry - I'll be civilized.

I can no more imagine involvement in a PROFESSIONAL, COMPETITION DRIVEN, SPONSORSHIP ORIENTED, LIP-KISSIN' FLYFISHING TOUR! today than I could ever have envisioned something of this nature back in my wide-eyed, single-digit days. And, I enjoy all types of fishing by any means - with that said:

Regardless of the precedent set by B.A.S.S. or W.A.L.L.E.Y.E. or W.A.L.K.E.R.S.C.A.Y. OR anybody else, and I don't begrudge Dance, Grigsby, Brauer, Martin, Pallot, Sosin, Combs, Houston; destination guides, lodgings proprietors, gear manufacturers, states' and countries' departments of travel & tourism, et al, their opportunity for fame, fortune, recognition or success - I just think the idea of tour fishing competitions is a little old in the tooth, has evolved into irrelevancy and should not be incorporated into fly fishing.

(As always, driving ever closer to the right side of the road...)

jfbasser
06-05-2003, 11:58 AM
Competition eliminates the hearsay and birddogging about techniques and helps develop proven products. I do not consider that irrelevant.

sinktip
06-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Here here DFIX, very well said.

Fly fishing competition should be kept to the competioton between our expectations and our reality.

striblue
06-05-2003, 02:02 PM
Oh..that's no big deal, I won that 5 years in a row... didn't want the award, but felt I owed it to the "sport".. so I reluctantly accepted.. Fix has been trying to steal it from me from my book case eversince. So ,I gave him one from one of the years... I even had it reingraved to stop his whinning about not having one.. So, I will pass this year although i have been invited back to defend the title.;)