Casting Video Choice? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Casting Video Choice?

Nick
06-02-2003, 03:35 PM
Looking to get my father a casting video for father's day. Any suggestions on one? He's a beginner, but will be focusing on Saltwater exclusively. I'm afraid the Roberts video may be a little too advanced.

TIA...Nick

FredA
06-02-2003, 04:09 PM
I think the Roberts video would be hard to beat. Prior to buying it I thought it might be a bit beyond me. As it turns out, I think it's technically accessible for the beginner and a great tool for the more experienced caster to straighten out problems that crop up.

juro
06-03-2003, 08:47 AM
Nick -

I'd love to offer a beginner's lesson for your dad if he'd take it. The more you teach, the more you learn they say. I've taught a fair number of people how to cast and some of them even like me still ;)

You've really helped us out over the years. I haven't gone to a flytying gathering in years where people didn't have at least one of those kick-butt plastic cases! It would be nice to return a favor.

It's a three part lesson, each segment has a practice period between to ensure that there is not too much information overload. Knowing you were a college pitcher and seeing your casting ability, I would say that if you inherited your dad's athletic skills, it should be easy in two sessions. Trying to learn to cast in one day is ridiculous, but if the things discussed in a good first session are practiced and a follow-up puts it all together it can provide a solid basis - good enough to fish anyway. Specifically focused on SWFF if you wish.

Just say the word and I will be happy to do it.

Nick
06-03-2003, 10:16 AM
Juro,
Thanks a bunch for that offer, once my dad finishes up the school year, I may take you up on that offer!

Nick

Eddie
06-03-2003, 12:30 PM
For beginers, Mel Krieger's "The Essence of Fly Casting" is good. Good foundation and easy to understand. The 2nd in the series is good too.