Croton Watershed 6/1 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Croton Watershed 6/1

Adrian
06-02-2003, 10:09 AM
With 25 - 30mph winds forecast for the LI Sound and the Housie probably running like a choc milkshake I headed out to the Croton to check out a few new spots yesterday. The Lower West branch was running high and colored. The East branch was in better shape, the water was running high but remarkably clear. I met up with an Angler coming off in downtown Brewster and he'd had some surface sport on Caddis. I managed to turn one fish over on a skated caddis and headed further up to check out a well known pool. I eventually found it - heavilly overgrown and not much visted in recent weeks by the looks of the undergrowth.

Very tough and tight casting but I managed to "will" my sedge immitation into position under the twigs with enough of a presentation to fool two feisty browns - small but big red spots and full of zip. I also connected with several more until I checked the fly and realized I had been fishing with a hookless fly - must have given at least 6 more fish a taste of elk hair and hackle :rolleyes:

Green bodied sedge (about size 16) are about on most of the CT and Westchester streams right now. Fish seem to be keying on the hatching pupae.

We're also getting into sulphur season - should be seeing them evenings into dark around this time.

SDHflyfisher
06-02-2003, 04:41 PM
where is the croton?

Adrian
06-03-2003, 08:54 AM
Sean

The Croton Watershed lies in the Putnam and Westchester counties of New York. More than a single river, the system comprises numerous tailwater streams and water supply reservoirs which supplyNew York City. Both a New York State licence and Acess Permit are required for most of the system.

Access permits are currently free. Application is by mail -you can download the forms at

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/ruleregs/wsrecreation.html

SDHflyfisher
06-05-2003, 03:30 PM
i forgot that i will need to get a NY license too