Make my own vise!! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Make my own vise!!

E-12
05-31-2003, 02:31 PM
I have some plans on making my own vise. I could use some advise and inputs to take with me when i construct the vise.
Anyone got any ideas/point of wiews to give me?

Adrian
05-31-2003, 06:20 PM
Interesting project and way beyond me. The metal for the jaws is important - too soft and they'll wear out very quickly. I can't remember now but a well known vice maker had this problem on earlier versions of their vises.

E-12
06-01-2003, 03:41 AM
Hi Adrian
I figure that if i can temper the the surface of the jaws iŽll get a god protection from the hook. The jaws will last longer, my life time i hope.
Are you a fly tyer yourself? have you any ideas when it comes to the design of the vise?

DFix
06-02-2003, 10:18 AM
E-12, Welcome Aboard.

You really don't provide enough design concept info, except to say you want to do it. Do you want to mimic something in the open market or go with a custom idea?

Are you a toolmaker or machinist? because it doesn't make sense to rattle on about tradecraft and materiel if you already have tools and knowledge.

As one of the over fifty crowd here, I can offer this for starters: find an idea you like, fine tune it, tweak it on paper before you start marking & cutting stock. Happy to trade ideas with you, but it would certainly seem as if you've got a world of samples to choose an idea from.