Ninigret Report - 5 / 25 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Ninigret Report - 5 / 25

Adrian
05-25-2003, 11:22 PM
Well, after a week of anticipation and what looked like perfect conditions, this evenings worm hatch failed to materialize in the usual areas. Even the locals were flitting from one spot to another scratching their heads. I did manage to catch three fish up to 20" however, and one was a riser :D

Popular wisdom has it that the hatches are best on big tides (full & new moon) so that might have something to do with it.

I'll give it one more try next week-end!

Did anyone else make it out there today / yesterday?

neac9
05-26-2003, 01:54 AM
We started early at the ramp 4 am cold wet more like trout weather than bass.
needles to say I did not expect much we pulled up to masthead at about 4:45 am and Setve was on with his 1st cast not a big fish but not a runt either. Soon after I got mine, although the wind was blowing abit we had a good long drift pick about 5 fish each during the 1st run (including a 31" tiderunner best one I ever got). during the next three hours we took about 30 bass,2 blues and 1 squidie the fact that Steve broke his rod gave me the upper hand today "Oh well I'll take what I can get " not a bad day but the ride back to the ramp did suck. ps the fish did range from 12 to I think 30" Steve never put a tape on his biggest most in the 20 inch range

Adrian
WOULD LIKE TO HOOKUP WITH YA KEEP ME POSTED
JERRY

FishHawk
05-26-2003, 08:27 AM
We haven't had much sun to heat things up. Would like to hook up with you but going on the Rip Trip if the weather holds up. Next time I see you will talk to you aout the Delaware. FishHawk:D

Slinger
05-26-2003, 06:42 PM
Adrian, sorry I missed you. Yesterday morning`s fishing was up in Greenwich Cove, howling north wind, spitting rain, water temp. 9 degrees colder than last week. I knew there would be no worm hatch, they`re very temp. sensitive. We picked a bunch yesterday and a couple of small blues and Jerry got a giant Weak 9 maybe 10 lbs. Went back this morning and got a few at what shoud have been dawn, then the sky opened up and they disapeared. I waited for this vac. for the last six months and now this weather makes me wanna puke!
Slinger

Adrian
05-26-2003, 07:17 PM
Steve

Bad break on the weather - I'm just hoping for a decent spell when I get up to the cape in mid June!

Last week- end water temp was 62 - I guess it cools down fast in the shallows the same as it warms up fast? Maybe this week it'll warm up a bit - I'm certainly game to try again next week-end.