looking for info on Southern Oregon [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: looking for info on Southern Oregon

nbettger
05-23-2003, 10:22 AM
I have just started fly fishing this year, but I am going to be spending the whole summer in the mountains between Klamath Falls and Lakeview, OR. I really don't have a clue about the fishing in that area, but I will be able to do a lot of it and i was hoping for some info on the area (good spots, good patterns, the fish, anything). If you have any info please send me an email. Much appreciated.
Nate

fredaevans
05-25-2003, 04:55 PM
guys (Bob Mieser and Nate Bailey) probably have 'pet names' for the rocks in the area(s) you want to fish. Both appear to be very framilier with these waters. Shoot them a line.
fae

Robert Meiser
05-25-2003, 10:37 PM
nbettger,

My friend you will be in High Desert heaven !

I'm not gong to be real specific here as there is just so much excellent water in this area that it would be nearly impossible to fine tune specific streams and ponds.

Keep in mind that this is a huge area in comparison to what you may be used to in Wisconsin...I'm from Scony myself....Price county, Park Falls ~Phillips area. Been in the Rogue Valley for 25, and "Go Over the Hill " to fish the High Desert as much as possible....Which is never enough.

I am jealous of your situation {:^) !!!

First thing I'd do is get an "Oregon Atlas & Gazetter" put out by DeLorme Maps. Then get an excellent publication called "Fishing in Oregon" by Sheehan and Casali. You can get to them by:

Flying Pencil Publications
33126 SW Callahan Rd.
Scapoose, Or. 97056
503-543-7171

Get the latest edition...I think #9 ?

Go to: www.delorme.com for the Atlas & Gazetteer.

A quick overview of the streams within this area would be:

The Upper Sprague, just out of the Fremonts.

The Upper Sycan, above Sycan marsh.

The Chewaucan River.

The Donner And Blitzen out of the Steens.

Williamson, Wood, and lots more I won't mention here ....Once you get settled in drop a line or call. My wife and I camp the High Desert often.

Good on Ya !......Bob Meiser