looking for info on Southern Oregon spots [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: looking for info on Southern Oregon spots

nbettger
05-23-2003, 10:17 AM
I have just started fly fishing this year, but I am going to be spending the whole summer in the mountains between Klamath Falls and Lakeview, OR. I really don't have a clue about the fishing in that area, but I will be able to do a lot of it and i was hoping for some info on the area (good spots, good patterns, the fish, anything). If you have any info please send me an email. Much appreciated.
Nate

fredaevans
05-27-2003, 06:20 PM
Two board members who know this area very well are Bob Meiser (Meiser Rods a forum sponc.) and ta-da! Nate Bailey. Both here in Medford and have fished this area alot.

If you haven't done so, PM them for info
fae

Cphatts
05-27-2003, 09:25 PM
I'm not too familiar with that area as I live in Portland, but I know that Klamath Lake, the Wood River, and Williamson River are all primo trout destinations for very large trout. For steelhead try the Rogue ot the Chetco (not sure how the fire last summer has affected it). On your weekends you could also take trips to the Noth Umpqua or the tons of lakes & rivers near Bend.

I would also recommend putting up a post on www.westfly.com Just go to the Oregon forums and put up a post. You should get some good tips there.

fredaevans
05-28-2003, 01:07 AM
The Rogue has large fish runs probably 9 out of 12 months of the year. 11 months if your willing to drive to the Goldbeach area.

The Chetco is a winter steelhead river, flanked by salmon runs on either side. So it's a pick your time in the fall through spring gig. The North Ump. is a river you've got to fish ... if you like (below the fly only waters) folks standing shoulder to shoulder ....

"We" restrict such activities to the spring kings and the top end of the river only for a couple of months in late spring-early summer. No kidding; most of the year your rather surprised to see 5 or 6 other guys/gals during the day. Ít's a population thing ... which is (probably?) why our fish runs stay as large as they are? No one's fu.. ing with the river from top to bottom, and minimal population pressure ... again from top to bottom.

Glad I left Seattle and Northern California for the un-populated Southern Oregon. Probably screwing up a good thing here ..?
:whoa: