Deceiver saddles? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Deceiver saddles?

bonefishmon
05-22-2003, 11:43 AM
I like tying Deceivers but my source for a good saddle hackles is nill. I'm not interested in the strung variety. Looking for the patch type with lots of wide, webby whites in a variety of lenths. I had no luck at the shows. PLEASE HELP!

Phil

boarmountain
05-22-2003, 06:00 PM
Email or pm me.LMK what you need ,maybe I can help.
Mike

striblue
05-22-2003, 07:31 PM
Boremountain has the best saddles ..I just go three and these were off colors I needed.

juro
05-22-2003, 08:51 PM
Deceiver saddles are of a very specific shape for my liking. They resemble a "candle flame" shape whereby the feather is not webby nor thin, and the tips taper gradually like a baitfish body. I like the overall length to be at least 5" in length, and without curvature if possible. For my tastes, webby hackle like schlappen segments into linear bunches and is not my cup of tea. Full bodied feathers that recover back into the baitfish body shape fish after fish are what I'm after.

I usually look on the pegs of a dozen flyshops before I find one I can barely stand. When I find a good skin I jump on it.

The last perfect one I found was at our sponsor Rod Builder's Workshop (www.rodbuildersworkshop.com).

To your point, they are hard to find.

joe wojtan
05-22-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by bonefishmon
I like tying Deceivers but my source for a good saddle hackles is nill. I'm not interested in the strung variety. Looking for the patch type with lots of wide, webby whites in a variety of lenths. I had no luck at the shows. PLEASE HELP!

Phil

Phil
Check your PM.
Joe

bonefishmon
05-23-2003, 12:11 AM
Sorry Joe. Not sure how to check PM on this site. Nothing has shown up on AOL 'read'. Please mail me at bonefishmon@aol.com Thanks.

Phil Sheffield
Mystic, Ct.

Dble Haul
05-23-2003, 08:02 AM
Phil, at the top of each page there is a row of icons. The one on the left reads "user cp". Click that button and you will then see another selection of icons, one of which is "private messages" (or as we call them, PMs). There's an inbox and an outbox, and if nothing shows check the default which can be adjusted and usually only checks for messages over the past few days.

Hope this helps.