2003 Darwin Award candidate! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 2003 Darwin Award candidate!

fredaevans
05-22-2003, 11:22 AM
From yesterdays paper.

Grand Mound, Wash---
A 62 year old Montesano man was killed Tuesday when he drove a logging truck off the Interstate 5 and struck a tree. Investigators found a sandwich clutched in his left hand and a cell phone near his head.

xxx had been driving southbound on I-5 in Thurston County at about 10:30am when his truck, a 1990 Kenworth LOGGING TRUCK ... left the roadway. It traveled for about 350 feet before hitting the tree.
The logs smashed into the cab, and firefighters had to cut several away before they got to xxx, who died at the scene.:whoa:
fae

JDJones
05-22-2003, 11:52 AM
Well let's see here, we could blame Kenworth for making the truck that killed the driver. Or we could blame the manufacturer of the cell phone. Many documented cases of accidents caused by people talking on cell phones while driving. Or, if we knew what was in the sandwich..... Certainly couldn't possibly be the drivers fault. And besides,we can't sue a dead man,,,, can we?

This ia the kind of logic one picks up from living in California toooo loooong.:devil: Hopefully it will fade away' like a bad dream.:chuckle:

JD

Dble Haul
05-22-2003, 12:16 PM
If clearcutting was in full effect, he wouldn't have had any trees to run into. :rolleyes:

John Desjardins
05-22-2003, 12:36 PM
Mark, With that view of how environmental policy can combine highway safety with job stimulation your a slam dunk for an EPA position that opened up yesterday.

fredaevans
05-22-2003, 12:46 PM
- QUOTATION OF THE DAY -

"This is the kind of job when you come home at the end of the day, you really like to have someone to sound off to, and the plants just weren't doing it for me."
- CHRISTIE WHITMAN, on quitting as head of the Environmental Protection Agency

Sprocket
05-22-2003, 02:31 PM
Behold, the power of CHEESE!

SDHflyfisher
05-22-2003, 03:16 PM
he had a heart attack

BobK
05-22-2003, 03:29 PM
Darned things are usually old, overloaded, load swaying, and speeding on roads that aren't meant to be used that way. When I lived in the Adirondacks as a young kid, when they usually wiped out, they managed to take a few innocent bystanders (in cars coming the opposite direction)....

I just hate 'em.

BobK

Moonlight
05-22-2003, 04:25 PM
Dble Haul you aced me it was obviously the fault of the timber companies who are part of a conspiracy that leaves only trees next to the highways to hide the Clearcutts that are behind the trees from public view. These same timber companies have vast holdings in auto repair and highway paving. All of course real winners from the ice encrusted roads that require studded tires and that cause many icy wrecks due to the sun never shinning on the shaded roads in the winter.
I am fearful that these conspirators might find out who I really am and try too silenece me under some twisted "Homeland Security" issue. Whew I'm outta breath, thinking this fast while sober is scarry.

KerryS
05-22-2003, 04:34 PM
My condolences to those that loved this man............................

I find no humor in his death.

sinktip
05-22-2003, 04:47 PM
Homeland Security, acting on intel that subversive elements have taken over Internet fishing sites, has just raised the terror alert status to mauve. Tom Ridge said he seriously considered raising the status to the previously never reached taupe level but didn’t feel the situation called for it quite yet. He did state thought that they were monitoring the situation closely and could escalate the threat warning later. High placed sources that refused to be named, have told this reporter that Homeland Security has intercepted posts from fly fishing sites where flybox contents have been referred to as weapons of mass destruction. The White House is said to be ecstatic that they have finally been found.

In tomorrow’s edition, the results of our special undercover story on Canadian terrorists plan to have a mad-cow cattle drive across the border into the small town of Sumas.

STBS - When Paranoia Breaks Out, We Break In

Doublespey
05-22-2003, 05:41 PM
:devil: :devil: :devil:

Appreciating Darwin Candidates takes the ability to separate their death (tragic) from the conditions/circumstances surrounding it. :D

Hell, if they'd found Juro in his Tundra it would have been the Americano cup, cell phone, vice with partly tied fly, and tide chart -all strategically arranged.

Fortunately, he's also a master multi-tasker and seems able to juggle all these activities and still safely navigate his vehicle. :eyecrazy:

Thanks 'Tip - I'm glad I was drinking water and not coffee or my monitor would be a new color!:hehe:

TIC y'all,

DS

fishheadfred
05-23-2003, 01:20 AM
driving a kenworthless, huh? If that had be a Mack like i drove at the mines, he might of had a chance!!!!!