June steelies.... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: June steelies....

D3Smartie
05-21-2003, 04:03 PM
If someone was looking to fish for steelies in June where would you send them??? I usually dont fish the steelhead until the fall but i am looking into this for a friend and hoped you guys would know.
Thanks
David

fredaevans
05-21-2003, 04:12 PM
a considerable number of summer runs are already in the lower Rogue at that time. Also, the river is "ALIVE!" with half-pounders.
fae

juro
05-21-2003, 04:23 PM
June is a wonderful month where sunrise is so early it's hard to start at o'dark thirty and you never have a hot supper if you fish till sunset. The spring has passed on to summer and the runoff settles to a summer flow although it's yet to lose it's steam from the winter that's passed. The summer fish are thick with ocean nutrients and almost a year from spawn, and as ghostly chrome as a mirage of silver and gunmetal black and gray with snow white fins streaked with mercury rays and spots running along their length. To hook the June summer fish is the peak challenge of summer steelheading, and to land it is even harder still. This is the time of year when fish leap as high as the man stands tall in the water, burning the fingers and banging the knuckles of the anxious retriever as the line shears thru the water behind the turbo tailed silver missle. If the beauty of it's vibrant ocean colors doesn't dumbfound you, then the power within it's fresh ocean flanks will. I've lost many a nights sleep over the early summer fish, and nearly lost jobs and marriage over them too over the years.

Where you ask? That's not the question. EVERYWHERE they occur is the answer. ;)

KerryS
05-21-2003, 04:40 PM
JURO! JURO! WAKE UP!!!!

juro
05-21-2003, 04:45 PM
:D :p

Tin Pusher
05-22-2003, 10:51 AM
Roderick Haig Brown lives????????:hehe: