crappie! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: crappie!

dewey
05-15-2003, 02:12 PM
yes, that's what work is, but...

I caught about forty of those things last night. Took my newbie friend out to a local pond, and these things wouldn't stay off the line. I think my friend's got the bug now, too. Just good mess-around fishin'. Catch a fish, sip of beer, catch a fish, sip of beer...
would have been more fun with a 2 or 3 wt, but not bad for an after-work deal?
Anyone know if they are worth cleaning and eating?

willmullis
05-15-2003, 02:17 PM
Crappie in my eyes is one of the best eating freshwater fish there is. Need a bunch of them to make a meal out of it, but well worth all the effort in filleting them!

Dble Haul
05-15-2003, 02:26 PM
Interesting timing with your post. I'm heading out on Sunday to a local lake that supposed to have some great crappie fishing. I want to give some fly patterns a test drive.

I concur about crappie as table fare....I don't eat a lot of fish, but I have had some fried crappie and it was awfully good. And some bodies have stunted populations that could use some harvesting, if ya know what I mean. ;)

flyfisha1
05-15-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by dewey
...Anyone know if they are worth cleaning and eating?

Oh, yeah... very good! But still not as good as yellow perch or walleye, in my estimation... :D

willmullis
05-15-2003, 03:52 PM
Would have to agree with you on the walleye but never tried yellow perch. Thanks guys now I'm hungry

SDHflyfisher
05-15-2003, 04:57 PM
beer battered perch are great not healthy but good i don't each fish for the most part had some bad experiences