Rip Trip Roster-5/31 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rip Trip Roster-5/31

striblue
05-14-2003, 09:00 PM
Without a sign up ..this is what I have..FredA, Adrian, Doublhaul, are out... Juro , Roop, Jimmy, DocD, SeanM, Eddie, Q, and Penguin have not committed as far as I can tell ( I NEED A SIGN UP)..... In so far for the trip... except for adjustments with the group above,,, are...Chris and Drew, JFBasser, Craig,, Hindus,RS2003, Fishhawk,Birdfish , Bonefishmon plus one... with the group just listed ..that's the Max ---10.... I will need a meister..,. and I consider this a serious pick... he is the captain and final decision maker...So I will want to Draft Juro or Penguin.. or "force" FredA to go.. Again I think keith will allow 11.... Once again if the trips come off as planned any group left out can orgainize a trip the following day so it is not out of the question....... It is quit possible that I missed someone or more...please let me know.

Quentin
05-14-2003, 09:40 PM
John, as much as I'd like to attend I can't commit to either date so you can take me off the list.

Q

bonefishmon
05-15-2003, 12:23 AM
I can commit for the 31st. However, my friend is in Florida tarpon fishing on that date, so he is out. Who is heading this up so I can make contact? Is there an archive from a privious trip for me to study? Is this all blind casting? Any flats nearby? I've seen photos from above but they are probably outdated with the way things shift. Too many questions? Nevermind! I'll just go with the flow.

Phil

striblue
05-15-2003, 07:00 AM
Yes..just do a search for now on this Forum and you will see all you see... from previous trips...once the roster is firm...I will do a run down of what to bring.

Chris
05-15-2003, 07:33 AM
As I said in the older thread I would gladly help out meistering or co-meistering this one.

Anyone who can help me with this that has more knowledge of the flats around so. beach and monomoy would be helpful.
I need info on contacting Keith and setting up a sign up sheet.

I don't know what's expected or required of a meister but feel free to ask of me what ever and I'll do what I can.

craig
05-15-2003, 08:48 AM
You can put my name into the hat for consideration of being a meister.

striblue
05-15-2003, 09:41 AM
This is a bump.... I can continue to orgainize this and then hand off to the meister.... or hand it off now... I will also help the Meister as well.... I will also post a equipment and information post AFTER we get the rosters set... one thing at a time... So as of this morning... the 5/31 roster.... is..... Chris, Drew, Craig, JFBasser, Doc Duprey, Birdfish,Fish Hawk, Hindus, Bonefishermon and RS2003... There is the possibility of one more, I think... But.. this is it.... We need firm Comittements... $30 per person... if we have drop outs.. we still can not screw Keith and would have to go and the individual costs would increase... it is $30 per person.

rooster
05-15-2003, 10:32 AM
Looks like the trip is full, but if there are openings, I have 4 that would be definite, Dennis K, Craig S, Walt C, Bill T.
Let me know.
DK

jfbasser
05-15-2003, 10:52 AM
In....any idea on departure/pickup times?

striblue
05-15-2003, 11:27 AM
7 or 7:30 departure...pick up around 4

striblue
05-15-2003, 10:41 PM
Dennis... if 5 people move from the 5/31 slot to the 6/7 slots you would be able to go on 5/31... also DocD...your PM box is full... but you are in this group.

striblue
05-16-2003, 08:21 AM
Bump... looks Like Craig maybe the Meister with Chris helping...May have to cancell the 6/7 trip because of numbers but this should have no effect on this one.

rooster
05-16-2003, 11:09 AM
John,
I only would have 4 total, IF 5/31 opened. Right now I am not planning on it, as it looks like it is full. I have Tuesday, 6/3 as a tentative rip trip date with Keith. I started a sign up sheet for it.
DK

striblue
05-18-2003, 09:56 AM
Craig and Chris... as time approaches you need to cofirm with ALL the attendees... since we are not using Pay pal.. you need to get firm participation, otherwise those present will have to make up any difference with Keith on the trip... if there is any danger that you don't have all ,be prepared to pay the difference... or if someone just does not show... I am very concerned that Keith does not get screwed here because this will rightfully effect future trips as well as our good relationship with Rip Rider... I just want this clear. please communicate with me by e-mail or otherwise if you sense a problem because I will want to deal with it decisively. I will post timing instructions, including the possibility of a death march if the weather turns south on you while you are there... I will also post a list of what to bring... to caviats... travel light!!!! and bring cell phones and some walkee talkees.... those that may head around the point any distance from the main group will need to have one person with a walkee talkee connected with the main group... I will list later....Finally, there are reports the Amazon Bird watchers will be looking to capture stragglers... Bring extra funds in the event you have to pay ransome for the release of captured Rip trippers.;)

craig
05-18-2003, 10:39 AM
Ok, since Chris and I will be meistering, I want to start a list of the people that will be going. Please send PM's, e-mails, or respond to this thread. As stated by John (striblue) we need definate commitments in order to meet our responsiblities with Keith (Rip-Rider).

John, do you have a list of the people who have a spot on this trip, if so please send or post it and I will check off the names as people send in their confirmations.

Chris, how do you feel about this approach, any suggestions?

striblue
05-18-2003, 11:06 AM
Craig...go to the top of this thread and You will see the list I have... I think most are committed...BUT this would be the week to firm them up... Craig..I will help you as we go a long here.

bonefishmon
05-18-2003, 11:17 AM
I am on John's list for the 5/31 Rip Trip. I agree wholeheartedly that you should get money up front from those who are
commiting to this date. If they cancel, they forfeit their $30.00. I would like to send you my share to hold and give to Keith on trip day. Address please? Money order will be sent in lieu of personal check if required. Please let me know.
I will need a place to stay the night before. Anyone have a floor or sleeping quarters nearby? How about a small list of
motels otherwise?

Phil Sheffield
Mystic, Ct.

striblue
05-18-2003, 12:19 PM
Phil, I am sure that you will get a place to stay from some of the guys here..I would be glad to have you stay at CAC but as you know I will not be down. Thanks for reasserting the Rip Rider Commitment.

bonefishmon
05-18-2003, 12:42 PM
Thank you John. Please enlighten me as to the CAC of which you are President. I am new to the FFF.

Phil

striblue
05-18-2003, 01:33 PM
It's a joke.. it's my place in Chatham which we dub ,"The Chatham Anglers Club". A wooden plaque was given to me a couple years ago by a bunch of the guys which I have on my mantel. If my family is not there then it is a place for FFF members to stay...if they need a place for a night or two.

Chris
05-18-2003, 09:57 PM
Hey guys,
Just back from a LL salmon trip down east. No Salmon- the weather was too blue bird we didn't even get a salmon chop to troll over. Oh well. The brook trout in the beaver bogs and brooks were productive.
I agree Craig, everyone who has committed should pay their Rp fee up front so as not to stick anyone else with any no show dollars.
As for a place to stay Craig, I plan to camp at Nickerson State Park. You are more than welcome to join us at our site.
Folks will need to get checks in the mail no later than Tuesday for it to work.

craig
05-19-2003, 08:53 AM
We have worked it before that we pay on the day of the trip. I vote we do it this way again. We just need firm commitments from those who are going. You will need to be at the causeway at 6:30 am. If you can't make it and you do not show you will have to kick in your payment at some point. If you claim a spot and something comes up let people know so your spot can be filled.

How do people feel about this?

rooster
05-19-2003, 09:55 AM
Craig,
Looks like your trip is full. IF you get some cancellation, at the last minute. Call my cell 916 768-9356 on Friday, 5/30 by noon. I have 4 that are interested.
I would need 4 spots, though, as I need to keep my group together that date.
DK
PS. I am trying to get a rip trip scheduled on Tuesday, 6/3. I have a roster set up on a separate thread, if anyone is interested.

jfbasser
05-19-2003, 12:24 PM
Set a date and time e. g. next Tuesday at noon for firm commitments. If people commit by then, they are responsible for the dollars if a cancellation or no show.

Nick
05-19-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by striblue
It's a joke.. it's my place in Chatham which we dub ,"The Chatham Anglers Club". A wooden plaque was given to me a couple years ago by a bunch of the guys which I have on my mantel. If my family is not there then it is a place for FFF members to stay...if they need a place for a night or two.

It is most certainly not a "joke".... ;) More like Chatham Anglers Museum and Club, but definitely not a joke!

craig
05-19-2003, 12:59 PM
Ok, so far I have received 4 commitments:

Chris
Fishhawk
Phil (bonefishmom)
Craig

Per jfbasser's post we will set next Tuesday (noon) for cut off date, jfbasser are you in?

Originally posted by jfbasser
Set a date and time e. g. next Tuesday at noon for firm commitments. If people commit by then, they are responsible for the dollars if a cancellation or no show.

juro
05-19-2003, 01:00 PM
I'd love to go but I am booked for that day. Good luck out there! This will be the earliest trip to date on one of the latest migrations to date - therefore... I would suspect the potential for broken rods, bring a spare! :smokin:

Doc Duprey
05-19-2003, 01:14 PM
The Doc is in!

Can't wait, as this will be my first Rip Trip.

Best regards,

-Doc

craig
05-19-2003, 02:52 PM
The list that I got from John (striblue) for the people that have a spot on this trip are:

Chris *
Drew
Craig (bumped)
jfbasser *
Doc Duprey *
Birdfish (bumped)
Fish Hawk *
Hindus
Bonefishmon *
RS2003

The people with an (*) have confirmed, the rest I have not heard from yet. If you know how to get in touch with the remaining people, please let them know they need to make a decision. That way if they are not going we can give their spot to some other lucky gentlement/gal. I have e-mailed or PM'ed the four people who have not responded as of yet, still waiting to hear from them.

In reviewing this thread I notice jfbasser has commited, so I have edited this post and he now has the (*) next to his name.

Four spots still not confirmed, John is there a waiting list, if I get a cancellation is it first come first serve?

As of 5-19-03 8:05pm I have a cancellation, Birdfish (Dave) will not be coming with us, so I need at least one from the waiting list.

Bump....I woke up to a message on my answering machine and do to personal matters I have been bumped from 5/31. I now hope I can get a spot on 6/7. I will keep trying to fill 5/31. I know that Fish Hawk has been out to the rip before maybe he can help out and take on meistering duties. Rooster has four people that can't be split up, but can go on the 5/31 trip maybe we should fill the 5/31 trip with his group. What do you think John?

striblue
05-20-2003, 07:29 AM
Craig... with you out of the 5?31 trip and into 6/7 that would make 8 people and we need two more... I don't think you can fit Rooster unless you e-mail the uncommitted people, like Hindus and the others and get a committment and funds... if you can not get a comittement then Bump Rooster ,et al ,into the group...

craig
05-20-2003, 12:43 PM
John:

I have PM'ed or emailed the uncommitted people and have not heard from them I will wait another day and then put Rooster's group in.

rooster
05-20-2003, 06:12 PM
Craig,
If it opens up, my 4 names are me (Dennis K, aka rooster), Walt C., Craig S. and Bill T.
I replied to your PM.
Just let me know if you can fit all 4 of us and we will be there at 7:00 am on Sat. 5/31.
Thanks,
DK

craig
05-20-2003, 07:46 PM
I am not getting any responses from the remaining people on the list, so I am filling 4 spots with rooster's group. This means the list so far is:

Chris
jfbasser
Doc Duprey
Fish Hawk
Bonefishmon
Dennis K.
Walt C.
Craig S.
Bill T.

There is one spot left, we need to fill it so first come first served. If the spot is not filled are you guys willing to cover the $300.00? That would mean the price would be $33.33 per man.

Sorry I had to drop out, Fish Hawk has been out to the rip before so He and Chris can take over as meisters. How do you 2 guys feel about that?

Everyone should be at the causeway at 6:30 am.

striblue
05-20-2003, 10:39 PM
Sounds good Craig. There will be other trips this year so if anyone misses out ..It is my intent to make sure everyone is accomodated at some point.

FishHawk
05-21-2003, 04:51 AM
I have only been on one Rip Trip so I have limited experience with the trip. Will help out Chris in any way that I can . Please have money with you when you arrive on the 31th . Maybe the more experienced Rip Trippers could give us a list of what to bring. I know that if it should happen we should be prepared for a long walk. I have a Marine radio and we will need people with cell phones if we need them. Weather is a factor.
FishHawk

jfbasser
05-21-2003, 05:45 AM
Your PM mailbox is full...

Chris
05-21-2003, 09:37 AM
FishHawk,
I pm'd you. I have never done a Rip Trip and had imagined I'd have been more help on this one but I will defer to you as you seem to have a good handle on this one. Let me know how I can help you. A lot has happened since I was able to get back on. Drew should be on the list. He isn't as adept at this computer thing as most so bear with him. His e-mail is Drew DeLisle (kennebecfly@yahoo.com) . He's my brother and will cover for his fee. We did some scouting together yesterday and he is definately in. I believe that is 10 people. Should we pay you? We could each send it to Keith.

Could someone with good knowledge of this spot PM me with some strategies for managing ten guys there?

craig
05-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Here is the final list for 5/31, the trip is full with 10 people. If anyone on this list needs to drop out speak up otherwise you are commited and will be expected to pay the $30.00 per man.

Chris
Drew
jfbasser
Doc Duprey
Fish Hawk
Bonefishmon
Dennis K.
Walt C.
Craig S.
Bill T.

Everyone should meet at the causeway at 6:30 am and then walk up to the refuge to meet Keith (Rip Ryder). When on the causeway or on the beach you should have a stripping basket so everyone can throw in their money and then give it to Keith. That way it can be counted and made sure Keith gets whats coming to him and he doesn't have to go aroung to every person.

Fish Hawk will be meistering, I believe he is the only one on the list that has been to the rip before, so he will know where to go. If there are any question ask them and we will try and answer them before you guy go. Have fun and hold on :eyecrazy: :eyecrazy:

rooster
05-21-2003, 01:06 PM
As one of the rookies on this trip, besides the normal south beach fishing and lunch stuff...., Any suggestions on other things to bring?
Thanks,
DK

Adrian
05-21-2003, 01:43 PM
I've been on a couple of these things so this is by no means an exhaustive set of recommendations but here goes:

The Rip forms just before you reach the tip of South Monomoy to the South of where Rip Ryder drops you off - not sure of the actual distance but its a good 15 - 20 mins walking. I would recommend someone take a map and compass - better yet a GPS and discuss with Keith precisely where on the map you are being dropped off and also where you will be picked up if conditions should change. Seriously, finding the original drop off point in fog could be a real challenge - factor in a bad weather death march and, well, you get the point!

Once the tide starts running there is no mistaking the rip!

Standard practice is to throw fast sinktips / heads and make a big up-current "mend" and feed line to let the flies sink deep into a classic swing. Hits can come at any point - when the flies come onto the "dangle" hold on for a few seconds before starting to retrieve. Takes are sometimes arm-wrenching and sometimes very subltle. If it feels like a piece of weed just clipped the fly tighten - it could well be a fish. Even smaller fish feel ten times the size in the powerful current - check your knots and don't worry about leader shyness - this is no place for finness! :D

There is actually a "sweet spot" which seems to generate the most hits. Standard courtessy when hooking a fish is to get downstream of everyone as quickly as possible - and then re-join the "line" at the top and work you way down the rotation. Its very bad form to "take root" on the honey spot :tsk_tsk:

Sometimes it gets hot and several peole will hook up at once and then - well you'll just have to figure that out for yourselves :hehe:

Also there's more to explore than the rip. Head up the West side and check out the flats - fish could be literally piled up on the beach. Head around the point to the East side and it becomes classic steep surf beach conditions.

Others can add lots more advice.

Be especially respectful of no-access signs.

As Keith points out above access to this area is a very sensitive issue.

Be safe and have a great trip! :smokin:

jfbasser
05-21-2003, 02:27 PM
Rip Tripers,

I have a handheld GPS and a cellphone and I believe that Fishhawk has a compass. Does anyone have a good map?

FishHawk
05-21-2003, 05:19 PM
Looks like were all set . Adrian makes a very good point about rotating the sweet spot when the Rip is running. After you hook up rotate out of the spot so that everyone gets a shot at the fish. The only factor we have to worry about is the weather. We will try and contact Kieth and get a handle on the weather next week.
Bring plenty of water with you it can get quite warm out there but remember to travel light . We might have to hike back to another pickup spot which is about a good 6 or 7 mile walk in the sand.
Any more suggestions most welcome. We'll have a blast.
FishHawk:D

juro
05-21-2003, 05:34 PM
Wish I could go but I will be "working" on the flats up about 10 miles from you.

Also, this is early enough so that you will have migration activity on the east side. This is typically the "long periods of boredom interrupted by moments of sheer ecstacy" approach, but the rewards are great.

Another piece of advice - don't bring anything you couldn't carry for 8 miles if you had to. If inclement weather occurs, the only available pick-up point is at the north tip. It's only happened once but it's kinda hard to forget it when it happens!

GOOD LUCK everyone!

bonefishmon
05-22-2003, 12:09 AM
So, nothing less than a 10 wt. rod and a 450 grain depth charge for the rip? Big flies do not sink very fast unless weighted. A little insight here would be very helpful. Squid, eel and what other patterns? Juro. You said eight miles?
If we walk three miles an hour in the sand we need to allow about two or three hours to reach the pick up point? Is everyone fit to make that haul? I'm just getting over a foot injury but otherwise, I'm in good shape. Sounds like stockingfoot waders are out for this one. Sand gets in my stream type, felt soled boots and fills the inceps. Think I'll order a larger size flats boot to fit with neophrene feet on my breathables. Stream boots just don't seem to keep the sand out.

Phil

FishHawk
05-22-2003, 05:31 AM
bonefishmon: Go with the stocking foot waders and bring a backpack to put your gear in if we have to make the march. Trying to walk to the North Tip in bootfoot waders would be sheer hell. Bring water , Gator Aid and food. No coolers to heavy to carry. Cell phone if you have one.

As for flies, large sandeel patterns , clousers and decievers. Also flatwing flies. Bring an intermidate line also they might be up in the water_column. I was using a sinking line last week and could not catch a fish until I switched to the intermidate you never know.

Fishhawk:D

striblue
05-22-2003, 08:54 AM
The long walk is only the worse case situation if Keith can 't get into the Powderhole because of strong south west winds...I has only happened once in all the trips..we just need to be clear that it could happen again... The situation can be minimized by Keith Calling ahead if he sences this to occur and would get down there right away to pick you up... that's one of the big reasons cell Phones are a MUST.

FredA
05-22-2003, 11:28 AM
5/31 high occurrs later (1:15pm) than usual for selected dates so you'll be fishing the incoming most of the time. As Adrian said the flats to the west and the surf to the east could be interesting.

I did the 8 mile walk in bootfoot waders and was comfortable. Actually if it were several weeks later I'd leave the waders home. No need for wading except possibly on the west side flats.

Have an alternate fishing plan. I bet half these trips don't come off because of weather conditions.

300 to 450 grain QD, DC type lines have been the metheod of choice on these trips but I'd bring the intermediates and maybe experiment with the floaters and flatwings. For sinking I'd opt for the 300-350 grn rather than 400-450. Your going to be making a lot of casts.

jfbasser
05-22-2003, 04:23 PM
I believe somewhere in one of these riptrip threads a backup date of Sunday June1 was mentioned. I could be wrong but if there is an official backup date I assume the committments ($) would be for both dates if the meisters and Keith decide to postone for weather?

Meister comments?

Going off to tie some 37" megawings:D
misplaced my foot long JC:whoa:

Chris
05-22-2003, 07:06 PM
Bill ( FishHawk) and I spoke last night and agreed that we would like to get a final head count confirmation from all attending on Tuesday. Also, I will get in touch with Keith for a drop dead date to pull the plug. We thought Thursday would be the day if it looks as if the weather isn't going to cooperate- unlees Keith has another way he handles it.
If Keith feels he needs to cancel Drew and I will still fish and look forward to seeing any who still show. Keith may still make drops on the back side of So. Beach.

John or Craig does Keith generally call the trip the day of the outing or sometime before?

6/1 is a no go for me.

jfbasser
05-22-2003, 07:16 PM
Based on your post it seems that the 31st is THE day without a backup on Sunday. I have no problem with that....we can always meet and fish Morris Island or the shorter trip to South Beach or North Monomoy.

striblue
05-22-2003, 07:30 PM
Keith usually decides the night before so he will need a phone number... or he will post.... If the weather is bad it's bad..if it is good but Keith senses problems during the day he will announce the night before... it could also be a last minute thing... these trips are flexable. You CAN have Sunday for the backup... but if you have no shows or known cancelations you will have to foot the price difference..Keith would decide on the backup day... also..you can have a roster for Sunday... with Chris and Drew out if there is a Sunday then you have two slots.

Chris
05-22-2003, 08:40 PM
Drew has the night shift Sunday so we definately won't be able to do Sunday.
Is a fall back date a necessity for Keith. We won't be sticking anyone with $66.66 unless everyone else agrees to bump it up a day, correct?

striblue
05-22-2003, 10:15 PM
I think your decision for Sunday can be made if Saturday does not work out..but natuarally that's Keiths Call

FishHawk
05-23-2003, 05:19 AM
Sat it is then unless the weather is not good. Chris try my pm box again.
FishHawk:D

FishHawk
05-25-2003, 02:05 PM
JBasser and I took a scouting trip today to check out the details for the Rip Trip. Saw Kieth and he'll post if the trip is off. Wind could be the problem. Hope not. If your looking for an early morning place to eat try Larry's PX it is on Route 28 heading into Chatham. Before Chatham Center. They open at
5:00 pm. The color of the fly today was Pink for the Twinkies.:hehe:
FishHawk:devil: :smokin:

FredA
05-28-2003, 06:46 AM
http://www.skypic.com/ma/2-6055.jpg

http://www.capecodconnection.com/monomoy/monomap.htm

bonefishmon
05-28-2003, 10:50 AM
I really wonder what all of the Southern tip would look like at low tide? I don't see any flats there in the photo. With a little luck, I'll know for sure on Saturday!

Phil