Interesting News [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Interesting News

removed_by_request
05-14-2003, 02:42 PM
Just something I had to share, to quote a famous phrase "Houston we have a problem"

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/05/14/coolsc.disappearingfish/index.html

Enjoy them while they last, once they are gone they are gone for good.

willmullis
05-15-2003, 01:15 PM
I hate reading stuff like that, it's depressing. I just don't know what can be done about the situation. It's all supply and demand. Unless the world stops eating tuna then there is not much hope.

flyfisha1
05-15-2003, 01:43 PM
... and this is why I get particularly upset when I catch a tuna and find that he's not going to make it. Sure, it may be silly, considering that it's overharvesting that has done the damage, and not my fly rod, but still I know that one day in the not-so-distant future these oceanic-nomads will be gone for good. I had a chance a few years ago to work in Hobart doing tuna studies, probably should have taken it... could have married some nice Australian girl... :smokin:

dewey
05-16-2003, 10:31 AM
so depressing....

the conundrum is that the report proposes increased aquaculture as a means to halt overfishing. And we are seeing the problems that poses to native salmon stocks and general water quality.

I am pretty avid with C&R, but could the solution be to move to more consumption of the sportfishing catch?
My point is that eating a store-bought fish is far worse than eating one caught by the fly. Supporting the commercial fishery promotes detrimental industrial fishing techniques, while eating a responsible portion of the sportcatch might be a viable alternative. Single-hook sport fishing for immediate consumption by the fisherman and his/her family seems, in theory, to be a sustainable way to consume fish. Of course, there would have to be significant decline in commercial harvest before I would really advocate practicing this in a widespread fashion. In theory, though, wouldn't it be great if we could say, "If you want to eat fish, you have to catch a fish."?

Just a thought...

John Desjardins
05-16-2003, 12:32 PM
Does anyone have access to this paper in nature? The subscription of a former coworker that I used to access is no longer available.

pmflyfisher
05-16-2003, 01:27 PM
"We have seen the enemy, and it is us"

Pogo (Comic strip character)

Man's belief that our natural resources are unlimited must cease now.

Read article in the last year or two about how devastating the new high tech commercial fishing boats and techniques are on our salt water fish. Was amazed how many tons of fish they can harvest on one trip.

PM Out