Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly tying book

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
I was wondering if there was a good book around for beginning fly tying that will weed through the gobbledygook and define the materials used for tying simple things like wooly worms.
The smaller the better actually.

#3 ·
Randall Kaufman books...

His books are good. I would suggest his book on nymphs. He starts out with getting a good basic set of tools and materials that you will need, then starts with simple patterns and works you up to more complex flies, building on the techniques you perfected with the easier flies.

BobK

#4 ·
Good speller

You spelled it right Fly. I found a copy on Half.com for under 10 bucks. Might get it so I can tie my own wooly worms.

#5 ·
...and Randall has a new book out that is excellent for beginers.

It is short, simple and to the point plus he has some instructions on tying some of the latest greatest patterns that you can not find in most begining tying books.

It is titled Flytying Made Easy for Beginers and has not only good tying instructions but excellent descriptions of various tools, materials and basic techniques...and I'm not just saying this becuase he is my employer! :hehe: :devil:

www.kman.com

#6 ·
"The Art of Fly Tying '" is another great step by step intro book. The author, whose name eludes me at the present, takes you step by step through each type of fly and covers a general over view of terms, tools, materials, and techiques. Truly is a great starter book. Bought the copy i have at wal-mart about three years ago. ( $19). there are many good starter books on the market, find one and leaf through it and you will eventually find the one that is right for you and your learning style.

#7 ·
Eric Leiser's "The Complete Book Of Fly Tying" IMHO can't be beat. I learned to tie from that book and I am not a very "handy" person. My flies look good, hold up, and some people catch fish with them. It should cost you about $20 if you search the web for a bargain. I think it lists for $30+.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.