Fly Fishing Forum banner

VT smallies

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  fishheadfred 
#1 ·
I fished a favorite Lake Champlain tributary this weekend with good results. A good number of fat pre-spawn female smallmouths were holding in the deeper pools in this fairly small and swift stream. The water was clear, and a wooly bugger did the trick on most of the fish. Also, a fellow FF'er gave me a "clouser crayfish", which produced an 18-19" 4 1/2lber, the best fish of the day. This is an awesome fly that I never thought much of until I saw it in the water. Smallmouths+moving water+5wt=Good times. All fish released.

#3 ·
True! that's a high bar. Of course, I was only guessing, but I'm pretty sure about the length. All these fish had big old guts on them (full of eggs). The Champlain smallmouth fishery is incredible! Many of the Bassmaster type people who have fished it consider it among the best in the country. Now through July the fish are pretty accessible with a fly, and I prefer to fish the rivers that run in the lake.
To me, it's a lot more fun to catch wild 2 1/2 - 4lb smallmouths than the 8-14" stocked rainbows that make up the majority of the trout-fishing catch around here.

#4 ·
dewey said:

To me, it's a lot more fun to catch wild 2 1/2 - 4lb smallmouths than the 8-14" stocked rainbows that make up the majority of the trout-fishing catch around here.
Agreed! I feel the same way about the CT River and its tributaries vs. the crowded Trout Mangagement Areas down this way......I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.