Now is the time to fly fish the Hudson River [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Now is the time to fly fish the Hudson River

Bob Creeden
05-12-2003, 07:59 AM
The Esopus Flats - Kingston area broke wide open this past week. Saugerties to Albany should open up this week and the next three weeks will see hungry, waiting to spawn striped bass on the prod, in the upper of this river!

Those longrodders who are serious will continue to try to connect with a big striped bass. Many others will go to the coast for easier schoolie action.

Flats fishing, in the dark on a dropping tide with big flys (snakes, herring, top water pushers and gurglers should work) on into dawn should be the way to make it happen.

The water is warming up, and wading and yaking will be easier. Drifting a flat in a small boat set up for fly fishing will work too!

So what's it going to be? Easy little fish action in all the old places or some cutting edge,shots at big fish on the Hudson River?

:rolleyes:

juro
05-12-2003, 10:55 AM
Be gentle on them... I'll do the same when they arrive in Chatham :)

steelheadmike
05-13-2003, 08:35 AM
Hey Bob send me a PM may head up that way. Perhaps meet up?

mikez
05-13-2003, 10:57 AM
When you say Esopus Flats in Kingston, are you refering to the lower Esopus near the Hudson?
There was another area on the Esopus that was known as "the Flats", but it was a ways upstream. It was a great place to wade and cast dryflies to wild rainbows until it was bought by a private club which posted it. The Flats is where I caught my first fly caught trout, in 1972. It is also the place where I fell into my first major river.
I grew up on the lower Esopus in Kingston. My Dad worked at IBM which if I remember is very close to the lower river. It's amazing to think that back in the early 70s, the river had big stripers in it and nobody fished for them.

Bob Creeden
05-14-2003, 07:09 AM
Mikez,

The Esopus Flats are on the western shore of the Hudson River in the Town of Esopus. They are directly across the river from the Esopus Lighthouse. The area is south of Roundout Creek at Kingston, NY and north of Black Creek.

Esopus Creek enters the Hudson another 12 miles north of Kingston at Saugerties. I don't know who the hell Esopus was, but he was a popular fella way back when folks started naming things in the mid Hudson Valley.

BTW - The new State record was taken on the northern edge of the Hudson River's Espous Flats in 18 feet of water on a chunk of herring. 55-pounds - 48.5-inches.

NYS/DEC netted a striper over 60 pounds in the same area last week while doing a bait survey. I'm trying to pin down exactly how much over 60-pounds that fish was.

This weekend should be prime time in the Kingston Area for stripers. Water surface temperature here in Athens is 57.5-degrees this morning.

:eyecrazy: I'm fishing everyday and haven't connected yet!

Time on the water will solve that problem, I'm sure.