Housatonic 5/10 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Housatonic 5/10

Adrian
05-10-2003, 05:57 PM
Made my first trip down to Milford Pt. today to catch the last couple of hours of the outgoing. Lots of guys from the marsh all the way down to the breakwater - similar scene on the Short Beach side.

Lots of boat traffic too - the 50F+ brings all the "wallys" out. One Yo-Yo managed to run aground in the fog - he bought himself a six hour wait at least. Hopefully his wife will give him hell when he gets home :devil:

Fishing was hot at times. I managed to christen my new TF Spey rod and Abel 3 reel and Rio windcutter line:D Finished up with 6 for just over an hours fishing dropped a couple more. The best went just under 28" and I saw what looked like a keeper sized fish landed on the Short Beach side. All nice bright fish. Headed back tommorow a.m. but plan to get there a bit earlier.

Adrian
05-11-2003, 09:08 PM
Slower today - bitterly cold Easterly wind which almost pushed me off the river. Perseverance paid off however. First fish was a 24 incher that did an amzing job of thawing out frozen fingers. The second was pushing 30" and almost took me into the backing a couple of times - my best striper from the Housy to date.

Very little evidence of bait in the water but herring are running all the way up to Derby.

Wes
05-12-2003, 07:31 AM
Sounds like a couple good days, Adrian. I love that area but the crowds put me off sometimes. Sometimes boats will really crowd you if they see you hook a fish. Used to have a more serious deterent in hand when I was flinging 2 oz Castmasters. :devil: I plan to make a couple night yak trips this week up river if the weather is any good. Almost no traffic, large are there and they are taking big flies.