Cast & Blast Spey [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Cast & Blast Spey

Stu Farnham
05-10-2003, 10:21 AM
Here's a new one I call the Cast & Blast because of the chukar flank wing.

Stu

flytyer
05-11-2003, 01:55 AM
Stu,

This is an interesting fly that I can see used in several different colors while retaining the chucker flank wings. I would tie it with a silver tinsel tip and shorten up the body and wing a bit though.

Anyway, thanks for sending me in a new direction with the wing.

Stu Farnham
05-11-2003, 02:41 PM
Flytier,

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed the same thing about the body length when I looked at the photo.

Here's a second version, better proportioned, I think, with a different color scheme.

Stu

flytyer
05-14-2003, 12:17 AM
Stu,

This is much better and I like this color combo too.

I would make the tip about half the length you have it by shortnening it from the rear (i.e. start it closer to the hook point). And the wing could be just a wee bit shorter. These slight adjustments should make it just about perfect in proportions.

By the way, I like you nice, small and neat heads they are the mark of a craftsman.

boarmountain
05-18-2003, 09:14 PM
Stu,
What hooks are they tied on? Very nice work.

Stu Farnham
05-19-2003, 09:09 AM
Those were tied on Partridge Salar hooks, #3. I've tied a few on silver and gold Alec Jackson Speys as well. I have hitorically on;y used black hooks for my steelhead & salmon flies, but decided to give teh gold/silver a try after seeing a deep purple spey Walt Johnson tied on a gold hook.

Stu

Stu Farnham
05-31-2003, 12:08 AM
Flytier, thanks for your suggestions.

Stu

flytyer
05-31-2003, 12:26 AM
Stu,

Thanks.

Also want to let you know, NOW YOU GOT IT! Notice how a few minor adjustments in proportions make such a huge difference in how fly looks. This is how a spey fly should look. Very well done indeed, my wife saw this latest one of yours and simply said, "Nice"!