Fly Fishing Forum banner

Simms G3s or guides

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  sean 
#1 ·
So are the G3s worth it? My waders are slowly giving up the ghost due to multiple hooks is the arse from learning to speycast. Now that I am proficient enough with the long rod I am interested in buying some waders that will actually last more than a couple seasons.

Are the G3s $100 better than the guides?

-sean

#2 ·
I can only speak for the guides. I like the more subtle coloring for sight fishing the flats. In fact if they made mirage I'd buy that. I heard striblue is working on it... ;)

But listening to the folks who own the G3's, I'd have to guess that they are the upper echalon.

#4 ·
befor I got the guides, I thought waders were supposed to leak after a few trips. I'm still dry after a few seasons. Most everyone that lives in their waders wears Sims. It would be hard to imagine better waders than the Guide Weight, but from what I've heard, the G3's are terrific.

#5 ·
G3's

Sean
I too have been toying with purchasing the new Simms G3, so I took a deep breath and walked into the shop to buy them. Now I don't have to worry, they won't be any available until the middle of June. That's at the shops in Central Washington so maybe in your area you can find them. I have two or three partners that have them and they all feel they're worth the extra bucks, with the new facing material and all the pouches and handwarmer pocket, along with the rear belt loop. How many times have you put your waders on and the belt was nowhere to be found, this way it can stay attached. They have enough storage that you can fish without a vest or chest pack unless you actually need all that stuff. This still won't cure the hook up your tail, but maybe I'll concentrate on my casting a little more. I'm still going for it when I can find them. My other problem is I need size short and fat. If you get them let us know what you think.

Rando

#6 ·
Sean

I have a pair of the G3 waders and like you I asked whether or not they were worth the extra money(see my earlier post) Since no one else in forum could help I got up the courage and cash and bought them.I could not be happier,I fish in rivers that are very slippery and the really tough material on the legs has saved me more than once from repairs also the added features are great. So I would recommend spending the extra money and get the best(IMHO) waders on the market.

#7 · (Edited)
My new G3's recieved their first workout the past couple days and I loved them! Not only are the features worth the money but they do seem to breathe better!

My only complaint is that I do miss the silence that Classic Guide's offer up due to the 100% microfiber outer where as the G3's sort of 'creak' due to the tougher more durable material rubbing against itself...

But only time will tell if the G3's truely are worth more money. I am about as hard on waders as anyone and thus I am looking forward to seeing if they are more durable then the standard Classic Guide Waders (which I have found to be more durable then any other wader out there...I put them through Hell!).

No matter which route you go, you can not go wrong!!

#8 ·
OK I have a few trips now with my new G3s.

Wow waders that actually breather and do no leak. Who would have thought. I love them and have already done some bush whacking in them. Other than my CND 1308 , my best purchase so far this year.

Ryan to silence the sound just fall over into some mud. That clears the problem up right away:rolleyes: .

-sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.