Holden Beach, NC [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Holden Beach, NC

willmullis
05-09-2003, 12:52 PM
I'm heading down to Holden Beach, NC in one month to take the family on a vacation and maybe someone can help me out. Holden Beach is 40 minute drive north of Myrtle Beach and it is an island. The island is seperated by a small canal from the mainland.

Anyway I'm wanting to spend alot of time with the fly rod and was curious if anyone knows what kind of fish I could run into in that area and maybe point me in the right direction as far as fly selection goes.

flyfisha1
05-09-2003, 08:56 PM
Ahhh yes, right up the road from where I went to college (Myrtle Beach, the East Coast's biggest tourist trap, but the golf capitol of the world). You'll find plenty of redfish (red drum) in the backwaters and surf zone, as well as jacks, blues, sea trout, 'cuda, and various other species near shore if you can time everything properly. I was hoping to get up to Moorehead City in June, but had to postpone because of a heavy schedule at the office. You might try getting in touch with Captain Dave, whom I believe is a sponsor; he's a guide in Moorehead City and might be able to give you some pointers. There are a couple of other guides from that area that are on the forum, also. Good luck!