anybody ever fish Ocracoke OBX? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: anybody ever fish Ocracoke OBX?

mikez
05-09-2003, 11:48 AM
Gonna be camping out on Ocracoke Island in the Outer Banks in two weeks. Only one, maybe two nights as part of a week long road trip/adventure with my oldest boy. Have already been to all the surf casting message boards to get the locals' wisdom [11 foot rod, 6/0 hook, 5oz sinker, half a mullet], was hoping someone here has experienced it from the FFing point of view. I believe we can wade the sound side for sea trout and small redfish. Anybody enlarge on that theme?
Of course, you know me, I'm no purist [sorry Juro]. When in Rome... Sure is gonna be tough driving all that way with my 11 footer tied to the roof of the Honda. On the other hand, I'm not one to remain patient while everyone around me hauls in 50 inch redfish!

John Desjardins
05-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Substitute an 8 oz sinker & the tackle sounds like what was used when I fished Hatteras ~ 11 years ago. Sorry but I got skunked, and the only tip from that trip is to get bbq at Bubbas in Hatteras or Avon if they're still there. Lots of bait shops to pump for knowledge in the the little towns on the road from Kitty Hawk to Hatteras.

Oh yeah prepare for wind.

juro
05-09-2003, 06:17 PM
Sounds like a blast Mike! Give 'em hell. I'll bet the tunoids are still hanging around down there - that spring blitz report from Dirty Dave sure got the blood pumping.