Offset Hooks [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Offset Hooks

JimboJones
05-05-2003, 10:42 PM
Anybody have any striper patterns that utilize offset hooks? I was playing around with some size 2/0 & 3/0 hooks, but have yet to tie something presentable.

Thanks for your help.

DFix
05-07-2003, 02:31 PM
Won't even rig an offset on any type tackle unless I plan to keep a fish.

JimboJones
05-07-2003, 09:19 PM
What is the reason?

Is it harmful to the fish?

Dble Haul
05-08-2003, 09:29 AM
Offset hooks can be very harmful to fish. The offset point will almost certainly catch in the throat or gills instead of the jaw or lips when the fly is taken even just a little bit deep.

juro
05-08-2003, 09:46 AM
Is this true for fly hooks? I think I've used a few offsets on tube flies and don't remember any deep hooking, then again the species makes a difference - these were ocean feeding coho salmon.

Dble Haul
05-08-2003, 09:53 AM
Juro- Let me clarify.....these hooks will almost certainly catch in the throat or gills if hooked deep....I'm not trying to say that they always hook deep.

juro
05-08-2003, 10:02 AM
I can see how that would happen, especially with big mouthed fish like our line-sided friends.

99% of my striper flies are tied on TMC 811s, 100% de-barbed. Single fly, no droppers. I don't seem to have a real problem hooking or landing fish, that I can tell anyway.

Whatever is good for the fish works for me!

striblue
05-08-2003, 10:13 AM
Juro..no you don't have trouble.... that is why I will follow you around this summer:D

juro
05-08-2003, 11:21 AM
I will savor the day striblue! If this damp cold stuff ever leaves us!

DFix
05-08-2003, 12:42 PM
"...Whatever is good for the fish is good for me...." is exactly the point. An offset hook isn't good for a fish you want to release.

An offset hook pulls on an oblique angle to its axis, embeds itself in any purchase point it connects with, and is generally viewed to be a 'keeper' or 'bait' hook, whether it's a dinky worm hook for kibbie fishing or a big G'D' "aught" size 'rip 'em outta the weeds' whatever. They go in, but they don't come out the same way they went in.

Jimbo, they're not the right way to go for anything but meat fishing.