Shakespeare, St. Croix, Redington, or Pflueger? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Shakespeare, St. Croix, Redington, or Pflueger?

BeginnerFlyman
05-05-2003, 06:06 PM
I found 4 inexpensive combos on cabelas. These are the specs...

B]Shakespeare Ugly Stik/Pflueger Medalist Big Water Fly Combos[/B]

Epoxy-coated blanks provide UV protection. The rod includes a Pflueger Medalist with palming rim for extra drag control.

-3 kinds, all 9' rods, all 2 peices, one reel 8-9 weight, another 10 weight, the last one 11-12 weight. All 3 $79.99

Pflueger Trion Fly Rods and Combos

Trion fly rods have a 98% IM8 graphite blank for sensitivity, and the FujiŽ aluminum oxide stripper guides pay out line smoothly for shooting flies across the stream to undisturbed lies. Light-line models are equipped with hardwood reel seats with aluminum hardware, while the 8- and 10-weight rods sport a full aluminum reel seat and fighting butt.

-2 versions, both 9' roda and 2 peices, one 8/9 weight, the other 10 weight

Redington Crosswater Fly-Fishing Outfits

The IM6 graphite rod lets you feel and control the casting stroke and has a forgiving action any beginning angler will appreciate. The large-arbor reel sports a disc drag for smooth control when speedsters take you into your backing. Includes weight-forward fly line, backing and leader.
* With fighting butt.

- 2 versions, both 9' rods and 2 peices, on 7/8 weight, the other 9/8 weight.

St. Croix Pro Graphite Fly Rods/Prestige Combos

These moderate action rods are designed for the beginning fly-fisherman who wants outstanding performance in a graphite rod, but doesn't want to pay an arm and leg for it. These rods feature deep blue SC II graphite blanks, matching blue thread wraps and up-locking aluminum reel seats. Rods also feature stainless steel snake guides and quality cork handles.

- 2 versions, both 2 peices and 8 weight, one rod 9', the other 9' 6"

Please reply ypur opinions and comments.

-Sean

fredaevans
05-05-2003, 06:28 PM
to go with the Redington combo.
fae

Nick
05-05-2003, 07:11 PM
The redington combo sounds nice, but the Pflueger reels have been around for ages with few changes. I know mine's still kicking.

Nick

Havok
08-23-2004, 05:53 PM
Are all Pfluegers made in China? I saw some at my local shop made in China, and wanted to find one with the proper flag on it.

flyjkol
08-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Well it's a give and a take. I personally like St Croix rods for overall casting performance, but I also really like reddington reels. Depends if you need a good reel with a consistant drag or a higher quality rod more.