you know Spring is here.... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: you know Spring is here....

mikez
05-05-2003, 03:57 PM
...because Mike Z has crawled out of his hole in the ground to rejoin the ranks of the sleep deprived sunburned future devorcees!
The south wind was blowin the other day and I swear I could smell stripers! Now you may suggest I was having another flashback, and it is true I was listening to Grateful Dead at the time, nevertheless, my Striper Sense is one faculty which hasn't yet started to fail me.
So tell me, salty brethern, where hast thou observed yon striped fellows?
PS Juro, it was good to see you the other day. When I saw that two hander waving over the little trout pond, I figured it had to one of this crazy bunch!

juro
05-05-2003, 05:31 PM
Good seein' you again buddy! I'll stop at any frog pond to get my spey practice in. My neighbor's pool has been looking pretty attractive lately and a much shorter drive :devil:

That pond's actually really scenic and seems to have a lot of trout jumping especially last fall. I could hardly keep my mind on casting with all those trout leaping.

Warmer extents of estuaries with bait have been producing schoolie / scouts lately. The ocean water temps have been brutally cold lately which may be slowing things down as far as migration. My guess would be that they've reached the corner of the cape and into pleasant bay up inside but not much further... some larger fish may have squirted through the canal to herrring runs on the bayside but it's rumored that spawning activity was delayed so the brood size fish are yet to make the move up the coast. Any day now though...

Don't forget to put Boneclave on the calendar this year!

Slinger
05-06-2003, 12:34 AM
Oh my God , He`s alive! I heard an ice fisherman was found froze to death with a jiggin rod in one hand and wearin a red hat. Thought it might of been you. Nice to see you made it through the winter. Been a lot of holdover action down here, breachways have fresh fish. Large should be here any day!
Slinger

mikez
05-06-2003, 08:21 AM
Oh come on Slinger, you didn't really think a little cold could get me? If so, I'd a been got a long time ago. This winter was just right. Those negative numbers keep the weekend warrior away!

Lefty
05-06-2003, 10:21 AM
Mike Z saw his shadow, so that means there's 6 more days until stripers show on the No. Shore.

Good to hear from you Mike. I can't think of Rhode Island withtout picturing you hanging on the jetty like a tunoid rat!