Steamer Fly [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Steamer Fly

striblue
05-04-2003, 07:01 PM
Just thought I would try a soft shell crab fly.. Silli skin digger, brown magic marker for tip.... Whitish brown hen cape on top of shell to simulate growth lines... inside , white marabou tips produding out slightly, brown tip marked with magic marker... brown magic marker along openning... Don't ask me if this is fishable...I have no idea! I may try it on the flats just to see...

flyfisha1
05-04-2003, 07:17 PM
Interesting... I imagine that this one will evolve just as the crab apple did?

pmflyfisher
05-04-2003, 08:41 PM
Striblue (John)

You got to go fishing soon this tying of crab flys has been taken to the limit. Got my spring steelhead fix in this week great trip lots of hookups and finally landings, out in some beautiful national forests, in solitude.

:chuckle: :chuckle:

I feel for you FF colleague !

Hal

PM Out

P.S. That looks good enough eat to me being a born and bred NJ sea food aficiando !

striblue
05-04-2003, 08:50 PM
Hal, I was out yesterday and it was cold and windy. I think the guys down the Cape had a better day today from the initial reports I see... so... After a day like yesterday..I start think about Bonefish and how they will take clams... so there it is ,the striper fly...It probably won't work but if I have my invisable waders on and my Zucatron fishfinder..I have no doubt the steamer fly will work... and if it doesn't I will slip it into the community steamer bucket at the Chatham Squire in disgust... with the hook off, naturally.;)