Connecticut Stripers, etc. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Connecticut Stripers, etc.

jimS
05-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Monday this week, called a fellow member of this forum, aka Striper. I was opening a family retreat in Milford and got a reply from him to meet at 8:30 a.m. the next morning at a convenient location.

We began the morning discussing the location where we met and which tide worked at that location.

Off we go to the next location, where he hooks up with a schoolie. While at this location, we strike up a conversation with a bait fisherman. Mike then begins a dialogue with him on various rigging methods including fish locators, and circle hooks. He explains the merits of this hook particularly for bait fishermen to insure fish are released uninjured. Further, he starts showing the guy how to rig them and promptly gives the guy a handuful of the hooks, cautioning him not to set the hook, but to let the fish run and have it set the hook. That is the mark of a caring guy for our fishery.

We drive to the next location. Here he is hooking up reguarly on schoolies, until I notice his drag is screaming. This is a 30 plus striper. This continues for a while. Awsesome location, but got to go to see some other areas.

Next location is for future reference. No fishing.

The culmination of the day was at an estuary leading to the sound. He had to go, but I fished it later on the falling tide. Landed a couple of schoolies and one about 28. Good day for me normally landlocked on the Great Lakes.

Great week fishing an area that was totally new to me. It was a tremendous warmup for the coming month at the Cape

Thanks Mike Mayo, Jeff Roof, et al for your openness in exposing some good spots to a guy that you really don't know, but know that he shares your love for this fishery.

Thank you,

Simms

Dble Haul
05-03-2003, 05:25 PM
Sorry I wasn't able to make it, but it sounds like you were in good hands. I'm glad you got into some action. :)

steelheadmike
05-05-2003, 09:36 AM
Sounds like you had a great time. I was waiting for another PM to see when was a good day to meet. At least you found some good guys to show ya around. Perhaps next time you get down our way we could link up.