British scientists say fish do feel pain [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: British scientists say fish do feel pain

flyfisha1
05-01-2003, 06:27 PM
http://www.msnbc.com/news/907199.asp

Have a look... yes, I believe that fish can feel pain, but I'm not going to "lay down my fishing rod" because of it. If I were that kind of mindless "humanitarian", I wouldn't kill the fleas on our dogs, or eat cheeseburgers.

JDJones
05-01-2003, 06:45 PM
What can you expect from the land that spawned the likes of PETA? Is that People Eating Tasty Animals?:devil:

Dble Haul
05-01-2003, 07:40 PM
This topic is already being tossed around a bit in the Beansprout thread.

JD....that joke was funny the first 500 times I heard it. ;)

Adrian
05-01-2003, 07:44 PM
Carefull - that land spawned me:devil: ...

... and I am proud to uphold the field sports traditions which have been a defining element of my Country's culture since time immemorial. ;)

The real point is that the concept of pain as we perceive it as human beings is as relevant to a fish as the concept of self awareness and abstract philosophical thought. Our entire human value system has absolutely no relevance in the animal kingdom.

Anthropomorphism is the stuff of fairy tales, novels and ancient myth and that is where it should remain. What would an alewife feel like having had its tail bitten off by a Bluefish?

My .02c.

JDJones
05-02-2003, 01:46 PM
Sorry if I offended anyone.

flyfisha1
05-02-2003, 01:53 PM
I hadn't realized that the Beansprout thread was discussing this same topic, sorry. See my post on that thread on this very topic if you're interested, just one more log on the fire.
Adrian - I, too, am of British heritage to the core (actually, I was the first of the family born outside the UK, in Brazil of all places), not cetain as to how many of "us" there are on the forum!

JimW
05-02-2003, 02:07 PM
Adrian, nice take on the subject.

BigDave
05-02-2003, 02:14 PM
JD -

I don't think you offended anyone...maybe drew a few chuckles.

My girlfriend brought the article to my attention at dinner last night. I busted out the People Eating Tasty Animals comment.
She is a vegan.....and laughed her ass off :hehe:

Dble Haul
05-02-2003, 02:22 PM
No offense taken, JD. That was just my way of saying that that joke has been around the block a few hundred times (hence the wink icon at the end).

Adrian
05-02-2003, 06:10 PM
;) ;) No offense taken here neither JD ;);)

We Brits have had our moments; wholesale slaughter of the entire UK chicken population in response to a salmonella scare and mad cow disease spring immediately to mind but we sure know how to make beer :D

JDJones
05-02-2003, 07:29 PM
on the beer. Especially Samuel Smith's.;)

flyfisha1
05-03-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by JDJones
... Especially Samuel Smith's.;)

... ahh, yes, the Oatmeal Stout is one of my favorites...

DEERHAAWK
05-04-2003, 11:22 PM
Does the Oatmeal feel pain when it's pressed for the beer, or is it communicating telepathicly with the Bean sprout down by the river where the fly fisherman, unbeknownst to all this, cast another bug at the cold, self absorbed, Trout with no feelings?

Hmmmmmmm.......Wow

Dude, this is just to heavy! I'm goin fishin.
Deerhawk

DFix
05-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Which is summarily discharged by the zealots. The following, for your consideration:

(With appropriate credits to the author, Bill Heavey)
Taken from the May, 2003, Field & Stream Magazine, "Field Notes" Section.

Title: "Small Brains, No Pain"

"A University of Wyoming researcher has concluded that fish are incapable of feeling pain. Examining data collected from 15 years' worth of studies on animals and their responses to stimuli, James D. Rose, a professor of zoology and physiology, says fish brains lack the specific regions of the cerebral cortex required to be aware of pain, fear, or any other emotion. His research was published in the academic journal, Reviews In Fisheries Science, in 2002.

Rose, an avid trout fisherman, maintains that previous studies, frequently cited by animal rights groups, reporting that fish do feel pain has confused 'nociception' - responding to a threatening stimulus - with pain itself.

But Dan Sharron, a PETA spokesman, which has spent millions on its "Fishing Hurts" anti-angling campaign, was unmoved by the evidence.

"We feel like this study would be laughable if it weren't getting so much attention," Sharron says. "Dr. Rose is a fisherman....If fish can't feel pain, that protects his hobby."

Rose maintains that because fish struggle when hooked, the human assumption is that they must be feeling what we would in the same situation. "Humans, however, have a massive cerebral cortex that enables their awareness of pain," says Rose. "Fish brains don't have anything even close to this." "

flyfisha1
05-05-2003, 09:31 AM
... avid fisherman will defend their rights and beliefs to the end, and the PETA morons and others like them will try to take it all away, but it will never happen. So, if you like to fish, then do it; if you think it's inhumane, then don't fish. Oh, and never eat anything organic again... you might hurt it or its feelings. :rolleyes:
Seriously, what a bunch of idiots.

Eddie
05-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Only idiots argue with idiots.:o

juro
05-05-2003, 09:58 AM
No they don't! :hehe:

flyfisha1
05-05-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Eddie
Only idiots argue with idiots.:o

Who's arguing? No one really cares what the other side has to say, it would seem.