Big Brother Day! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Big Brother Day!

juro
04-29-2003, 11:09 AM
I'll be co-meistering the Big Brother Day with Heather Coppock again this year and need a show of hands for those who can commit to spending the morning of Father's Day from 8am through shore lunch with a Big Brother and Little Brother in Chatham, Cape Cod. Father's Day is June 15th. Please do not reply unless you can absolutely commit to do it. We finish up after lunch so you'll have afternoon and dinner with your own family if desired.

We have currently confirmed:

Gregg,
Mike and
Papa Estey
Nick Svencer
Quentin
Adrian
Tim Watts
Myself and my son and daughter
Seuss and roomie
JimS and Son
TomD
Rooster and his sons
Jerry Fabiano
Bill
Michael
John Morin
CSJ60

We only need 3 more who can make an otherwise ungratifying day for a fatherless child one that is full of joy.

Thank you

Papa-G
04-29-2003, 05:16 PM
You better believe it, I'll be there! One of the best Fathers Days I have ever spent. This is probably because it wasn't centered around this old guy but a bunch of kids and guys who take the time to show them some of the good things in life. I can attest that this is one great day!:hehe:

seuss
04-30-2003, 07:07 AM
I'm in. My roommate is planning on joining us again as well to help out with logistics.

What great fun last year. The look on my Brother's face when he hooked into a keeper :)

Is it possible some of the same kids may return this year? I know Heather had more interest than we could accommodate last year.

Nick
04-30-2003, 08:00 AM
Are we doing the flies again this year? Should I get some more boxes?

Nick

juro
05-07-2003, 10:58 AM
Just spoke with Heather... although we are just getting started it would be great to have the crew in place for June.

If there are other members who can participate in this amazing event for the kids, please put your hat in the ring. We need 20 mentors to make this work.

Thanks!

striblue
05-07-2003, 12:49 PM
I am out of that amount of Fly's this year...but I will try and get BAA /Hancock Marathon Jackets....

jimS
05-07-2003, 09:14 PM
Following the threads on last year's event, I can unequoically place my name on the list of assistants for this event. Further, my son, 23 year-old Chris has involuntarily volunteered. Keep us posted on necessities. I've got lots of spare equipment, some of it can be donated for future outings with the youth.

Simms

juro
05-07-2003, 09:24 PM
Nick -

I think I have 20 left over, let me take a count in the AM and let you know. John, I think if each chaperone puts a couple of flies in the box for their pair the gesture will have a meaningful result.

Admiral Ed suggests that we get the Monomoy Wildlife Staff to make a presentation about the refuge as they do for all group visits. That's a winner.

We are still several mentors short - but with some time left to meet the goal. I understand it's not easy to block out the time, but if you can make it please put your name in... I guarantee there are few things you'll do this year that will give you as much satisfaction - and you will make a huge impression on a kid who can really use a joyful Father's Day despite the irony.

Nick
05-08-2003, 08:05 AM
Ok Juro, sounds good. I have no problem tying up a few flies, we could even do a sort of fly swap for the kids. That way everyone can tye up one type of fly, and we can distribute evenly.

Nick

tomd
05-12-2003, 11:25 PM
Juro, sign me up! I had a great time last year. Tom D

juro
05-13-2003, 10:12 PM
Great! Thanks for giving a little time to show these kids just how wonderful a fishing trip can be, and in the mean time they end up showing us just how wonderful discovery is all over again through their vibrant eyes and cheerful voices.

I hope we can find 8 more volunteers with a month to go until Father's Day morning.

This event runs in the morning so those who need to get home for afternoon barbeque will have no problem doing so.

striblue
05-13-2003, 11:54 PM
I will come up with a share of flys......

rooster
05-16-2003, 02:22 PM
I can be there also. Never did this before, but will be up the Cape with the family on this day. Do we bring extra fly rods to loan or is it best to bring a spinner or two? Let me know what to bring and where, when we meet up.
Tight lines.
DK

striblue
05-16-2003, 03:18 PM
Dennis... I am Glad you can make it.. it's fun and my boys usually show up...

rooster
05-16-2003, 04:05 PM
I will bring my boys, also. They are 16 + 18 yrs. old. The 18 yr old is pretty good with his spinning rod and could assist other kids, if needed.
Where do we meet?

Nick
05-16-2003, 04:12 PM
Glad you can make it. Last year we met at the causeway, took the Rip Ryder over, then gave some quick fly casting lessons. Most brought an extra rod or two (spin and fly). Some of the kids (and Big Brothers) took to the fly rods, others were much safer using the Spin.

It really is a great time, check out the pics from last years event Here (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/bigbrothers/)

Nick

rooster
05-16-2003, 06:52 PM
Thanks Nick,
I will be on the causeway on Fathers Day. What time?
DK

PABear
05-17-2003, 12:31 PM
Although involuntarily volunteered, I look forward to this chance to share the blessing of fishing with these kids. I would have volunteered myself, if I had known.

juro
05-23-2003, 09:38 AM
Awesome Dennis! Glad to hear it.

Getting close to quota! We need 6 or 7 more volunteers. Those of us who have sons or daughters coming could take two pairs (big and little brother = pair).

How about it, anyone else able to participate? I wager that you will not do anything more fullfilling or satisfying in 2003 than this.

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/bigbrothers/

doogue
05-23-2003, 12:45 PM
Sorry to say that my wife's best friend will be in town (from Paris) that weekend.

So I am out.

Bad timing! I would have really enjoyed participating in this most wonderful event.

-Mike

juro
06-07-2003, 02:48 PM
We're on the home stretch of planning for this annual event, something special for the kids and also all who participate.

We need a few more volunteers.... please attend if you can!

thanks

PABear
06-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Juro,
This is Chris S, son of Jim S. He is currently at the Cape and curious about teh Big Brother day, we would like to know when and where, so that we may plan accordingly. I will be arriving early Friday morning and looking forward to it. Thanks, look forward to hearing from you.

juro
06-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Sunday, Father's Day June 15th.
Meet at Chatham Lighthouse, fish on South Beach on the Monomoy Wildlife Refuge
8:30am start
Lunch on the shore with the kids
Many dads need to depart after lunch, optional extra fishing after lunch if you can stay longer

We will get together at the lighthouse at 8:30 (confirming w/ BBA), those of us who want to fish would probably not want to miss the outgoing at dawn (myself included) at approx 5am.

We then say hello to the kids and brothers and head over to Rip Ryder who takes us over to South Beach on the 8:30 / 9:00am run. We set up an impromptu Survivor-style boot camp, and let the kids have some fun as they go thru the ropes from start to finish. On the end of the gamut - fishing with a Forum mentor until lunch.

We then have a beach picnic with the group to share fish stories. Some may need to head back since many of us need to be with our own families.

Please post as many questions as you need to here, I will do my best to get them answered.

We still could really use a few volunteers.

tomd
06-10-2003, 01:05 AM
Juro, I forget how we handled lunch last time... do we bring it for ourselves, both us and the BB/LB pair? Tom D

juro
06-10-2003, 06:30 AM
Thanks in part to our work as well as Heather's team, BBA has received a limited grant that will provide some business to local businesses (Chatham Village Cafe') as well as provide some sandwiches for the gang. I am certain this will cover the kids lunches, possibly the big's lunch as well. It's possible it may even cover ours, we are working out the specifics at this time. I hope to have this finalized by end of business today or no later than tomorrow.

In any case, the program's success has earned it some minimum financial support for lunches and other minor expenses. Let's make this year's even more fantastic and perhaps we can grow it into something really big next year!

Juro

Nick
06-10-2003, 08:19 AM
Juro,
Anything I can do to help?
Nick

juro
06-10-2003, 09:09 AM
Thanks Nick -

We're making arrangements for lunches this am. I will count the leftover flyboxes and report if we have the 20 we need. We may need to bring our own grub to keep costs down but the kids are all set.

Each mentor might consider putting a fly or two aside to put into the boxes for their little brother. Although John Morin set a high bar for this, I think even one fly in the box is a great gesture. Even better if you can put a few in there.

Another approach might be to put an assortment of items in there - sluggos, for instance.

We can bring cameras to capture the memories which are sure to be incredible.

Sunblock would be a good idea if you have it, we may not get a bluebird day but it would be a shame to have the kids sunburned.

We should plan to meet up ahead of time to discuss fishing strategies - I have some suggestions for this tide that might work as I am sure many of you do.

If you can take the time before family calls, plan to have a celebrative draught over at the Squire's after the event.

As mentioned earlier, I plan to fish the light at 5am before meeting up with the gang at the lighthouse parking lot.

juro
06-10-2003, 09:37 AM
I will see if I can dig up last year's BOOT CAMP details, but here's the drill:

We meet at the lighthouse lot and go to Rip Ryder.
Shuttle to South Beach, set up boot camp.
Each station will teach some aspect of flycasting to the kids and bigs.
Upon completion of all stations, we'll decide whether the pair should attempt FF or go with a spinning rod.
Each pair will have a mentor to take them to spots around the area.
We re-assemble for lunch on the beach
Part ways until next year

Safety is #1 -

a) Heed all cross-wind situations. Minding the wind direction to blow the cast away makes it nearly impossible to hook oneself. If the wind is up, opt for spin if you must or reverse cast for them to retrieve. Bring two stripping baskets if possible, or cast out of the basket the angler is wearing.

b) Barbless hooks please, and protective eyewear is important.

c) Safety, fun and the experience of being there are the priorities not catching fish per se.

d) no deep wading, let's focus on finding fish along the drop off (great tide for it!)

Nick
06-10-2003, 10:00 AM
Juro,
I'll grab twenty boxes just in case.

Nick

striblue
06-10-2003, 10:09 AM
I am out.. I have a 35th high school reunion Saturday night that I don't want to mis.. My wife and I are going... too much activity this spring for me... I will be down in Chatham for the entire months of July and August ... I love the event but will have to pass this year and will plan on being there next year.

Bill
06-10-2003, 11:20 AM
Juro,

I can help out Sunday. I've also recruited a friend (Michael) who is great with kids and can cast a flyrod. We're all yours from 8 am to whenever. We will both bring fly and spin. Will probably be there for the early am too. Let me know what I can do to help.

Bill

juro
06-10-2003, 11:25 AM
Awesome! It will be great to have you guys on the team!

juro
06-10-2003, 11:27 AM
Home Depot of Plymouth has donated 15 pairs of safety glasses for the Big Brother Day! Not only will the kids be safe they will look COOL! :)

Special thanks to Home Depot, we are indebted.

If we bring our spares all the kids should be set for eye protection. I will bring 3 extra polycarbonate sunglasses, that leaves only two.

seuss
06-10-2003, 01:41 PM
dare i say...is there a rain plan?

juro
06-10-2003, 07:46 PM
Yes -

We won't have any of that. :)

I should approach EMS about donating some ponchos perhaps...

but the weather report is looking favorable for the kids sake!

http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USMA0079?lswe=chatham,ma&lswa=WeatherLocalUndeclared&whatprefs=

juro
06-11-2003, 06:42 AM
Special Annoucement:

Chatham Village Cafe at 400 Main in Chatham Center has offered to support our outing by providing sandwich materials, pickle, chips, cookie and soda for $6 per head unlimited number of people. I am going to assume we are all going to take this route so please bring $6. I think we should collect a tip for them as well as this will take them an extra effort and I am certain they are not breaking even in this show of support for the kids.

My personal checklist:

Bootcamp:
- chuckit toy for introducing the casting motion
- feather boa
- yarn for end of leaders
- hula hoops

Fishing:
- spin rod (I only have one)
- fly rod (I can bring up to 5 9wts)
- barbless flies and lures

Lunch:
- $6 + tip for staff
- flybox gift for boys (boxes provided just add fly)

Other:
- camera
- first aid kit

CSJ60
06-11-2003, 09:16 AM
Juro

I can help if you need another volunteer on Saturday… only have one fly rod but can tye a few flies to add to the fly boxes.

juro
06-11-2003, 09:53 AM
Are you available Sunday?

Originally posted by CSJ60
Juro

I can help if you need another volunteer on Saturday… only have one fly rod but can tye a few flies to add to the fly boxes.

striblue
06-11-2003, 10:01 AM
Juro... if the day is switched to Sunday because of weather..I will be there.

CSJ60
06-11-2003, 10:17 AM
Yes, I can make Sunday

juro
06-11-2003, 10:51 AM
It's always been Sunday, Father's Day June 15th!

So does that mean I can count you BOTH in? GREAT!

CSJ60
06-11-2003, 11:18 AM
Yes it is, sorry for the confusion... see you Sunday.

striblue
06-11-2003, 01:57 PM
Yes..it looks like I could get there. I though for some reason it was Saturday.

Adrian
06-11-2003, 02:38 PM
John that's great !

jfbasser
06-11-2003, 05:51 PM
Seems like I have been freed up from some of my daughters extended three week graduation festivities and can attend. I was at South Beach this Tuesday with multiple spin fisherman from work. The spin lures that worked on the outside at high tide for stripers were pink sluggos on 1/4 oz jigheads,white curl tail jigs, and a big fish was lost on one of those thin metal "sand eel" lures. Don't know if these will hold on the weekend tide.

Quentin
06-11-2003, 06:40 PM
Speaking of Saturday . . . any plans for a scouting trip?

I haven't decided yet but I may head down on Saturday morning. Anyone else planning to be around?

Q

juro
06-11-2003, 07:03 PM
I have my annual TU donation guide trip on Sat, but good luck!

BigDave
06-12-2003, 09:20 AM
I was thinking about Sat but the weather forecast is shaky. Also keep in mind the RT guys are having their clave on SB that day so it may be kind of crowded (they were up to 30 people last time I looked)

Now I'm looking more at Monday. Anyone want to play hooky for the day? I'll be out there.

Dave

Adrian
06-12-2003, 09:48 AM
Q - I'm ariving in Chatham Saturday p.m. and plan to fish - trek down from the light or maybe somewhere less crowded.

Dave, I am fishing Monday too :D

BigDave
06-12-2003, 09:49 AM
See you on the 8 am boat ;)

juro
06-12-2003, 11:23 AM
FOOD PLAN

We have a $6 / head lunch plan from Chatham Village Cafe' (my fav) for:

Sandwich
Pickles
Chips
Cookies
Soda

For $6 per head for each participant.

I need to get a head count - please let me know if you are IN on this great deal!

Nick
06-12-2003, 11:33 AM
I'm in.
nick

jfbasser
06-12-2003, 11:33 AM
when is lunch time?

juro
06-12-2003, 11:47 AM
Schedule:

Dawn: Mentor fishing at lighthouse
8:30 - Meet with Big Brother Assoc at Lighthouse lot
9:00 - take the beach!
9:00 - 12:30: Fishing!
12:30: Take the shuttle back to Morris Island stairs beach
12:30-1:30p: Beach Picnic with Big&Littles
1:30: Monomoy Wildlife Refuge Staff Nature Walk with Cliff

We need enough smaller coolers to carry 60 or more drinks down the stairs in managable sizes -or- a boat to ferry around tables, coolers and food to the beach at the stairs.

I will arrange for delivery of the food at 12:30 to either a dock nearby or to the Refuge parking lot to carry down to the beach picnic.

Is anyone planning on bringing a boat that weekend?

jfbasser
06-12-2003, 11:56 AM
In for lunch

CSJ60
06-12-2003, 01:37 PM
I'm in for lunch

Adrian
06-12-2003, 01:39 PM
Count me in

Bill
06-12-2003, 01:54 PM
Michael in for lunch
No lunch for Bill (although I will be there)

Quentin
06-12-2003, 06:05 PM
I'm in for lunch. Can we order a specific type of sandwich/soda or is it a "grab bag"?

Q

Adrian
06-12-2003, 08:01 PM
Not to sound too "prudish",$6 notwithstanding, I trust that "grab" isn't the operative word here:chuckle: :hehe: :chuckle: :devil:

Nick
06-12-2003, 08:25 PM
Juro,
I got the boxes today, I can yank the labels off of them before I head down. Any chance we have some labels left over from last year?

Nick

tomd
06-13-2003, 12:38 AM
count me in on the lunch deal

juro
06-13-2003, 07:09 AM
I got news from Heather last night that our lunches are covered by the BBA grant. Thanks BBA!

So we don't need a head count, etc.

Neat story - I believe the grant was provided by two BBA kids who grew up to be successful businessmen in today's tough economy, holding their own as it were. They are giving something back to the next generation of kids. We helped them get this with our idea, photos, and tutelage of the kids. A win-win. Kind of gets you right there doesn't it?

Let's make it even better than last year!

Hawkeye
06-13-2003, 04:38 PM
I will have the boat there and can pick up the lunches. I can pick them up and any other items for delivery wherever you want to have the lunch.

Juro, If you want me to do this give me a page - I'll pm you my number. My cell phone is out.

tomd
06-13-2003, 11:10 PM
what size coolers do you need? Tom D

Nick
06-14-2003, 11:09 AM
Not having any sluggos, jigheads, storm's etc, I went to Sports Authority yesterday to get some plasteeeks. In case anyone else is doing the same, heres a hot tip for you.

10 off 20$ at Sports Authority (http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=18&threadid=189642&highlight_key=y&keyword1=sports)

Just go in and tell them you got a call about it. Piece of cake. I didn't believe it myselft so I went in to verify and asked at the register, no problems they knew about it. Just gave them my phone number and they wrote it down on a piece of paper. I went to the SA in the Liberty Tree Mall in Peabody, but it is a national deal. 24 dollars of plastics for 14 bucks. Its for a good cause too!

Nick

striblue
06-15-2003, 08:58 AM
I just can;t get down there this weekend..... Only one car ,the other is in the shop till Monday.. my wife needs it.. I will have to wait till next year.