Fly Fishing Forum banner

4/27 Monster Carp (but no takers)

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  JDJones 
#1 ·
On Sunday I took my boat to the same place where I hooked my first carp on the fly rod about a year ago. It's a little pond that's separated from the main lake by a causeway. This pond is very shallow and it becomes a carp magnet in the spring. I went there hoping to catch my first carp of the season. The clouds made it difficult to see anything for a while, but then the sun came out and I started seeing carp feeding in the shallows and cruising along in deeper water. A couple were monsters -- maybe 25 lbs, maybe more :whoa: ! Most of the time I spooked them before I could make a cast. I did make a few good presentations (well, I thought so anyway) but they didn't want my fly. I primarily used a brown woolly bugger but also tried a couple other flies. The carp weren't chasing each other around like they were last year, so the maybe the water was still a bit too cold. Oh well, it won't be too cold next time :D !

Q

#3 ·
Q

That sounds like fun. I know a couple of the guys from the downtown orvis store carp fish to sharpen up thier skills before going after bonefish, etc. I guess the presentation, the run, and the sheer size of the fish bears similarities to the tropics.

Saw an epsiode of Walkers Cay with Flip Pallot and Lefty Kreh catching them on some Susquehanna mud flats. Looked awesome!

#4 ·
Carp on the fly

There is a good book with this title that warrants readiing. If the Carp are chasing each other vigorously, they are spawning and won't be interested in your flies. Look for the loneers that are actively feeding. The presentation is more similar to redffish than bones. If Mr. Carp has his nose in the mud, he won't be able to see your fly. If you can put the fly out in front of him, let it settlle to the bottom, and wait for him to quit stirring up mud before giving the fly a little strip. The fly must be moving away from the fish when you strip it. Remember, "prey does not attack the preditor." Try nymphs in the 14 to 10 range and 3x tippet. And the hooks must be sharp to stick those rubber lips.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.