04-28-2003, 02:24 PM
i got an old reel this weekend it has some rust but that is it
it is the Gayle "Simplicity" nomber 6 made in frankfurt KY
once i get the rust off what can i do to prevent it from rusting again
i do plan to use it the drag is in excelent condition

nbrandon
04-28-2003, 02:44 PM
Hey sean,

I would go up to a local sporting goods store and get one of those silicon impregnated cloths. You usually wipe a gun down with those cloths after you get done using it to keep the blueing from rusting. Wipe it down and then store it wrapped in the cloth.

Neil

BobK
04-28-2003, 03:24 PM
First off, I will have to know something about the metal and the finish... Is it steel, plastic, brass or aluminum body? (rust can be caused by steel screws, rivets, clicks, etc.)- use a magnet to tell.

Secondly, what is the finish? blued, nickel plated, enamelled, etc.

Find these out for starters - and stay away from sandpaper, etc. for now.

If you can give me a good description, I can help you out.

BobK

SDHflyfisher
04-28-2003, 05:18 PM
i am almost sure that it is steel is steel magnetic? i will check tonight
and all of the rust and gook is on the inside of the reelthe drag is completly rust free and the outside has very little it is all on the inside

BobK
04-28-2003, 06:41 PM
Steel, iron and 400 series stainless steel is magnetic. (300 series SS is not!) Other less common metals are also magnetic, but they don't use them for reels.

BobK

DFix
04-29-2003, 01:42 PM
Unless they're nickel and silver. Then, they'd be included in reels.

The Gayle reels, made by George W. Gayle et al, somewhere between 1900's-1930's. Big potential for nickel and silver parts/manufacture.

You might want to do a search, or even contact the Old Reel Collectors Association down in PA.

I have old reels; no 'Gayle', though. Take care of it.

SDHflyfisher
04-29-2003, 02:45 PM
it is magnetic
i plan on using it on an antique bamboo fly rod once o get a hold on one

BobK
04-29-2003, 09:09 PM
Depending on how badly it's rusted, if it is very bad, buy a product called Naval Jelly. Dismantle the reel, and apply naval jelly as directed. This should remove all of the rust.

For very minor cases, steel wool (NOT stainless steel wool) and oil can be used to good effect.

Another option would be scratch brushing - if you have a buffer or a grinder at your disposal, obtain a wire stainless steel brush to mount on it. This will give a nice, pleasant appearance if performed properly. The part should be brought just in contact with the rotating brush.

Note that pitting cannot be repaired; no matter what you do, pitting will still be present.

Always wear safety gloves and safety glasses when polishing/cleaning parts. Be careful.

If you have the patience, you will get a decent end result. Most people don't have the patience.

BobK

SDHflyfisher
05-01-2003, 07:22 AM
i think some steel wool and dnatured alcohol should do the job but what about preventing rust?

BobK
05-01-2003, 12:21 PM
Without seeing the reel (to determine if it is plated or not), you could blue it with cold gun bluing - it's a quick way to enhance its appearance - but ONLY if it's not plated (nickel, chrome, etc.).

For routine lube, the old "a light coat of oil" is great. Also, some of the silicone soaked rage work well.

One problem - rust CAN and does occur under oil films (silicone, too!) if the reel is put away damp, or gets condensed moisture on it from condensation (during damp weather).

My preference is to lightly oil (to fill up the pores), wipe dry, then apply a good coat of paste wax. Keeps 'em dry to the touch, yet seals out moisture.

BobK

SDHflyfisher
05-01-2003, 02:08 PM
where can i get paste wax

DFix
05-01-2003, 02:11 PM
WalMart, Home Depot, Auto Zone, PepBoys, Hardware Store

John Desjardins
05-01-2003, 02:16 PM
Paste wax aka carnuba wax is in the automotive departments of many discount stores. You rub it on, let it dry, then buff it off. Practice on your parents car :devil:.

SDHflyfisher
05-02-2003, 07:08 AM
reel is cleaned took me about 2 hours it has gun oil on it for now until i get the wax