Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pike Clave report

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
Our gathering took place today, a day after a cold front and substantial amount of rain had passed through the area. Not the best conditions for pike, but what are ya gonna do? ;)

Our first signs of pike didn't happen until mid-afternoon when a fish bit through my 30 pound fluoro tippet on the strike like it was butter. I rerigged with Tyger Wire, and two casts later was into another fish that this time stayed on. Not huge, but a good start and nice tussel on the 9 weight.

I had contact with one more fish late in the day....it was a class size larger than the first, and only stayed hooked long enough for me to see its substantial size. I'll be seeing that one in my sleep tonight. :rolleyes:

I had planned to try some of the flies that Pete had sent me and some of my own, but I really didn't need to change from Adrian's Daredevle flatwing from last year's pike swap. It did a fine job of getting some attention.

My only real regret was the weather....could have been better, could have been worse. I feel that if we'd had a few days in a row of the sun we experienced today, things would have been a notch better with more action for everyone involved. And speaking of weather, John and Adrian, check yourselves for windburn. I got my share. :eek:

Nice to fish with John for the first time, and always nice to fish with Adrian. I think I know where I'll be next weekend. :devil:

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the boat ride Mark, it was a good time. Thats a nice river to fish. I could see a lot of fishy spots for later in the year. Oh, that was sun burn. Almost forgot what it was like after the winter.

Lessons learned for me are:
  • leave the deep sinking line at home next time.
  • Roop's big yellow pike fly has great action (especially on the deep sink line) but is a little too heavy to cast with an 8 wt.
  • Fish with the heavy stuff more often.
  • Put some bandaids in the tackle pack for the captain. :devil:

#3 ·
Sounds like you did a little better than I did in my local pike waters. You even got a good adrenaline rush to help keep things interesting! Gonna give 'em another try this year?

Q

#5 ·
Great day on the water which almost got off to a disastrous start when I flipped the 'yak trying to rescue my rod :whoa:

Mark had the hot rod this year - all I could manage was a follow from something not very large:rolleyes:

Lots of interesting things going on out there though:

Ospreys circling overhead and the biggest snapping turtle I've ever seen came crashing though the undergrowth at one point - can't wait to see the pics.

Also, a large fish (pushing 10 lbs) which I couldn't identify got airborne about 30 feet from the kayak. It didn't look like a bass - plain olive coloring, dark back, large scales and orange tinged fins. Looked like an elongated Carp but I've never seen one jump like that before before.

Thanks Mark for organizing and John for the Albino Peacock tail feather :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.