Rod recommendation wanted-surf/wind [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rod recommendation wanted-surf/wind

Carl
04-25-2003, 07:43 AM
I'm looking for an 8wt, I think. The key is that I'm looking for something in the under $300 world. Fish 6-10#, but casting is flats and some light surf. When it's calm, I can usually fish a 7, but that rod's action is pretty moderate. I'm looking for something faster. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Carl

Sprocket
04-25-2003, 08:41 AM
Hi Carl,
Welcome.

To answer your question - I'd reccomend a 9# or maybe possibly a 10#...

Sure you're targeting smaller fish in calm conditions but if you're like me, you'll be going after some of the bigger fish in the larger surf/windier conditions...

As for manufacturers under $300 - I have an LLBean that cost me $200, Temple Fork Outfitters have nice stuff too under $200, St. Croix Avid series looks to be a good value in that range too

Good luck,
TMS

Dble Haul
04-25-2003, 08:53 AM
I agree with Sproket.....better to have a bit too much rod on some rare occasions than to be undergunned on other occasions.

FWIW, I don't fish the salt with anything less than an 8 weight, and even then that's when I'm chasing shad, snappers, or schoolies. For larger fish, I break out the 9 or 10 weight.

Eddie
04-25-2003, 05:22 PM
people work sooo hard trying to cast light gear. If it's too windy for a seven, and eight won't provide that much relief.

BobK
04-25-2003, 06:00 PM
Go up to at LEAST a 9, preferably a 10. Don't go "undergunned". You have to go up at least 2 sizes to make an appreciable difference - and don't be afraid to use a longer rod, too!

BobK

Hawkeye
04-25-2003, 06:12 PM
I would also recommend a #10 and to be specific a Sage DS2 - I love mine. I don't have a lot of rods - a 4, two 7's, two 10's, and a 14/15 and I think I would be happy with one of those in any situation I might face.

tonyd
04-26-2003, 12:30 AM
Check out the TFO rods.The 4pc 9wt or 10wt Saltwater casts as nice as most rods costing 3 times it's $165US price tag.It is also incredibly lightweight for a heavier line weight.If you don't care for the plain cosmetics of the Saltwater,then have a look at the Canadian Ti models.Same blank but VERY nice components and a nice rod case.It's one of the best casting and best looking saltwater rods I've ever tried.The Ti is only available out of Canada though,so they need to be ordered from a Canadian shop or from TFO's Canadian distributor Springbrook(www.springbrook.ca).The rods,warranty,and customer service are fantastic.

craig
04-26-2003, 02:00 PM
I would go with a sage #10 rplxi, I love mine. I also have a #9 rplxi. I use my 10 the most.

Carl
04-28-2003, 07:06 AM
I fished an older 9wt St Croix Legend yesterday, and it worked great. Jumping 2 line weights was enough to make a difference. Thanks for the suggestions!
Carl

Bwana
05-05-2003, 03:23 PM
If I am wading in waist high water, I use a Scott SES 1008/3 - 10ft 8 wt can handle most everything within a "BULL RED's" water. That extra foot of rod length makes ALL the difference when wading. Now iffin you are thinking you might get within sight of a "JACK" or something similar go to a 2 wt!!!! Of course, that's just to see how long thae rod holds together and you reel spools out. It'll also see what your backin has for strength!!!! :o

But iffin it's a tad windy, go a little heavier wt rod,,,, to "PUNCH" the wind. Now some say go 2 sizes up on the rods,,,,,, well that's fine ,,,,,,,,but I try to adapt more "WIND CUTTIN" with different style lines. Go to a WF Bass Taper or even go to some of the WF SLIME lines with HEAVY heads,,,,,JUST BE SURE AND NOT OVER "LOAD" the rod you're using,,,,I've also found the Teeny WF WF and SINK TIPS are great for this!!! One thing,,,,,,make sure you can cast pretty good,,,,,,,or you're gonna get "SLAPPED" and/or "STUCK"!!!!:tsk_tsk:

DAN