Inexpensive......yes! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Inexpensive......yes!

DEERHAAWK
04-25-2003, 12:55 AM
Good evening,
Yes folks you to can become a flyfisherman, or woman, for under $100.00! I found myself in a sporting goods store this evening on an un-related matter, and was drawn to the fishing section. In about 10 min. I had put together a fine entry level flyfishing outfit for under 100! Here is how it panned out;

9'/5-6, 2piece rod w/ entry level reel $39.95
WF5 Floating line 24.95
Leader, 5x 2.95
Tippet 2.00
Flys 10.00
Fly box 5.00
Vest 14.95
--------
Total $99.80!

All those who think that flyfishing is an "expensive" sport, well kids, it just aint so!.....So, give it a try.
Deerhawk

flyfisha1
04-25-2003, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by DEERHAAWK
...All those who think that flyfishing is an "expensive" sport, well kids, it just aint so!...

No, no, it's not expensive to get into it... but what happens when you become a "gear-head", as we all inevitably do? :hehe:
Now you're talking about some $$$, when you start visiting the fly shop every weekend and looking on ebay on a near daily-basis to see who's getting rid of their good tackle at bargain prices! But you know what... we all love it.
So have you planned your first outing with this combo?

pmflyfisher
04-25-2003, 10:29 AM
Yes, I know that sickness oh to well after 43 years of it.

It never stops, and we love it !

PM Out

P.S. I still have my first Garcia Royal 6 weight 7 foot trout rod which I started with at 12 years old. It still works and has caught a lot of trout and bass.

FrenchCreek
04-25-2003, 01:21 PM
Deerhawk
You just described the "virus" that causes this uncurable sickness we develop. Some get it worse than others, but no one is realy immune...

BobK
04-27-2003, 06:56 AM
Fly fishing is just like marriage. It's cheap to start with, but the upkeep is rediculous. It will drive you to the poor house.

BobK

Just me
04-28-2003, 11:07 AM
You might start out cheap but it doesn't stay that way. I got into winter steelheading just that way. A cheap rod,reel,and line. Had everything else. All under $100.00. I up graded the next year. Custom made rod,not so cheap reel,and not so cheap line. Went from under $100.00 to over $500.00 in one year and now I'm thinking about the Spey thing. It sure doesn't get any cheaper. And once your hooked your hooked.

I'm also getting on in years,just turned over 68 in March. Really looking for 69. So far wading is no problem but long walks along the river are starting to take their toll. I try to keep up with the kiddies(the younger guys I fish with) but I can't seem to lately.

Atc1man
04-29-2003, 04:26 PM
My starter kit:
Martin 9' Graphite 5/6 rod
Martin 5/6 reel
f5wf line
backing
came with locking forceps, tweezers, and one of those little reels for gear (never can remember what they are called)
$99.00 at a local sporting goods store (Gart Sports). Great starter or spare rig. So far its worked for me, two weeks ago I caught a couple Browns on the lower Provo :)